Professor Profile: Dan Chambers

Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012

1. Specializes in: Probability.

2. Started at BC: In 1982. “The school has just changed unbelievably,” Chambers said. When he started as a professor at Boston College, he explained that many of the most notable buildings on campus today were not yet established, including O’Neill Library, Conte Forum, and Fulton.

3. His favorite part of teaching: "The kids. Absolutely."

4. Background: Chambers was born in South Bend, Ind. and attended Notre Dame University for his undergraduate degree. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Maryland.

5. Outside research: He was involved in a project with a colleague in the math department about earthquake forecasting in California andNevada. Their research was posted online last year and just came out in print this year.

6. Current courses he teaches: Calculus I for math and science majors, mathematical programming, introductory statistics, and co-teaches Euclid’s Elements. “[Euclid’s Elements] is very different than any of the other math courses we have,” he said.

7. Hobbies: He loves to read, enjoys going for runs, and listens to “fairly eclectic music,” including alternative, rock, folk, and jazz. He also attends theater productions with his wife. “You can really see some wonderful theater at cheap prices,” he said, urging students to take advantage of their prime location near Boston.

8. Previous jobs: He worked for a few summers at the National Institutes of Health doing data analysis. “When I was in college, probably my most interesting job was working in a brass foundry,” he said.

9. Kids: He has two children, who are 23 and 27. One is currently working and living in Jacksonville, Fla., and the other is engaged to be married.