Senior Farewells: Chris Gouchoe

English and Creative Writing

Published: Monday, April 29, 2013

Updated: Monday, April 29, 2013 01:04

The Heights: Why did you choose to come to Boston College?
CG: The honest answer is rather random—it was the biggest school that I got into. I applied to a lot of really small liberal arts schools, and then realized I didn’t want that. And it has a good reputation in the area.

The Heights: What are some of the main clubs/sports/extracurriculars you have been involved in?
CG: I’ve done a lot of Student Theater here, productions through the department and I’m a member of student group Contemporary Theater—it means within our lifetime they had to have been published. And then I’ve done Special Olympics for two years, and that was really fun.

The Heights: What is your favorite memory from your time at BC?
CG: My last show I did, called Picasso at the Lapin Agile. It’s a Steve Martin Play. Every year the department chooses two students to direct, so my buddy directed it, and I was in it. It went really well, really great cast. I think those (student-directed plays) are some of the best shows that get put on here. It had a lot of subtle improv, and I got to have an outrageous Spanish accent. And the set was a bar, so a great senior year college experience.

The Heights: What is one thing you would have done differently, or something you wish you had done that you didn’t get a chance to do?
CG: To be honest, I wish I had gone to see more hockey games and less football games.

The Heights: What is the best class you have taken while at BC, and your favorite professor?
CG: I’m going have to say a few professors. The best class I’ve taken recently was Modern Middle Eastern and Arabic Literature—it’s the most exciting thing I’ve taken this year. The first amazing professor I had was Kerry Cronin—she taught Perspectives. Besides that, great professors were Franck Salameh, Bob Chibka, and Thomas Kaplan-Maxfield.

The Heights: Given that the core curriculum is currently under revision, how would you say the core has impacted your educational experience? What did you like most about it, and what changes would you recommend?
CG: Well, I probably would not have been inclined to take a philosophy or theology class right away, and that’s been one of the biggest parts of my education today. I do disagree with the core curriculum a lot, but as much as that’s true, Perspectives with Kerry Cronin was life changing. BC’s philosophy and theology programs are great. As for amending it, they really need to cut the volume in half. One science, one history ... You just spend so much time fulfilling these requirements.

The Heights: Favorite place to go in Boston?
CG: The Common, definitely.

The Heights: Favorite BC event?
CG: Arts Fest.

The Heights: Favorite dining spot on campus, and favorite food served there?
CG: Hillside, New England Classic.

The Heights: What are some of your favorite films?
CG: One of my favorite films of the year is Cloud Atlas. It’s really ambitious—in attempting to explain all of humanity. But it’s very good. I loved Zero Dark Thirty—Jessica Chastain was incredible. Ezra Miller—he’s young and he played Kevin in We Need to Talk About Kevin and was great. He’s in Perks of Being a Wallflower in a completely different role too. I think he’s going to be an amazing actor. I really admire the Coen Brothers. And I’m obsessed with J.J. Abrams.

The Heights: What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of during your four years?
CG: The show Picasso; this other show I was in freshman year: I Hate Theater Because … And the thing I wrote for New Voices called “A Night in the Low Light.” It’s about these two kids who wake up and they’re both dead, but it’s a comedy, kind of. A lot of people were like, what was that about?

The Heights: Which aspect of your BC experience do you believe has had the largest impact on who you are now as a person?
CG: Academically I’d say the Philosophy department. As a person: living off campus. Dealing with landlords, and not having a washer/dryer—going from that to going abroad. Junior year was crazy.

The Heights: What advice would you give to underclassmen?
CG: Do not wear an all-pink salmon tux to Newton prom.

The Heights: What will you miss most about BC?
CG: The community. I keep having this vision. I’m going to wake up on May 21, come downstairs and the whole house is going to be quiet. My brother and sister will both be at school, and it will just be my parents … Not having people my age around me at all times will be strange. I can’t just go knock on a friend’s door anymore.

The Heights: Do you have any plans for after graduation?
CG: Actually, I’m going to LA. Right now I’m speaking to a few different people and trying to lock down a position. I lived there two summers ago with a young gay couple that just got married, and they’re putting me up again. I’m moving out there with my two best friends from high school, they all want to do the same thing. There are a few potential projects but I haven’t signed on to anything … we’ll see what happens. I’m trying to act or write, and I’m looking to work in production. Two summers ago I worked on a film with Rashida Jones, Elijah Wood, and Will McCormack. I got to know [McCormack] really well—he’s done everything for me. Hopefully I can work on one of their movies. I really want to just get experience, get a solid basis, and then see where I fit in the film world.