She Said

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013 22:02

This is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Since the two of you have plans for next year, it may be helpful to have a discussion about your living arrangements early on in the semester. It’s a touchy subject to breech between friends, but certainly not impossible.                   

Have a conversation face-to-face, and as per usual in most slightly rough conversations, start with the positive—tell him why you want to live with him and how great you guys get along. But tell him that lately you’ve been feeling like things have been a bit messy and it’s hard for you to live in a messy environment. You can say that there are simple things to fix on his part, and make sure you give specific examples to be clear about what you mean. Say that you’re very excited about living together next year and this is only a minor issue that both of you can work on improving in the future. This should be a calm, quick, and mature conversation. There doesn’t need to be fighting or yelling, and his feelings don’t have to be hurt at all if you handle the situation correctly.

The point of living together is to have a great year with one of your best friends, not to fight over chores and all of the other little things. Luckily, this can all be fixed with some honest one-on-one conversation, and the two of you should be fine before you know it.