The On Campus Housing Guide

Features Editor and Asst. Features Editor

Published: Monday, February 28, 2011

The last couple of weeks leading up to spring break are a set of the most frustrating and stressful days of the second semester. After they're over, however, it's sun, fun, and relaxation … at least for a week. Upon the flight back to campus, students, save for the ones preparing to dwell off campus, are gearing up for the random, nerve-wracking chaos of the housing selection process. While picking roommates creates more drama than even Robsham Theater can hold, thankfully, choosing a dormitory often leaves friendships intact. However, it's not without its toils. That's why we've put this housing guide together. Although not everyone's going to have the same choices, we want to make sure everyone realizes there's something good about every dorm, contrary to what some may think.

College Road

It's the Newton Campus of sophomore year, College Road. Lamented as being far removed from the exuberant social life of Lower Campus, the dorms on CoRo, which include Roncalli Hall, Welch Hall, and Williams Hall, are every freshman's worst fear. Each dorm is home to four floors of sophomores, divided into doubles, triples, and quads, with the option to block with other rooms.  

Located less than five minutes away from classes, CoRo residents are able to run back to their room and retrieve their history paper, as well as sleep longer than their Lower Campus counterparts, resulting in their greater well-being. (With the construction on Stokes Hall, however, it is possible that residents of Roncalli may be awakened by jackhammers and bulldozers at 8 a.m.)

Since residents of Williams and Welch have to walk up an additional flight of stairs to access their dorms, the extra strain on the calves can even be seen as a reason to decrease the amount of time spent in the Plex. Once they have built up their endurance, residents can take advantage of the grassy area, reminiscent of a quad, between Williams and Welch, where they can play Frisbee or football, or have a picnic and bond over how many of them went from Newton Campus to CoRo. The food for that picnic can easily be picked up from McElroy Commons, which is literally across the street.

Though residents will gladly visit their luckier peers on Lower Campus, they find it difficult to convince their friends to visit them. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, though, and dealing with the challenge of maintaining a social life can work wonders in strengthening old friendships and creating new ones.

Rating: 5/10

Greycliff Hall

Yes, the rumors are true: Greycliff Hall does exist. Get ready to disregard everything you may have ever heard about it, because honestly, it's been unfairly labeled. Truth is, while it's not perfect, Greycliff is capable of being the best dormitory Boston College has to offer for students of all years. Here's why.

Having less than 50 students inside an entire building, no matter how small it may be, presents an opportunity to create a community that no other dormitory can. Comprised of entirely of singles and doubles, Greycliff blends privacy and accessibility together in a way that both social butterflies and hermit crabs can appreciate.   The rooms are undeniably small, with some definitively more than others, but sacrificing a little extra room to avoid the drama that eight- man suites, six-man suites, and even four-man suites create is an admirable decision. Because Greycliff has a resident hall staff mirroring that in freshman dorms, Greycliff students need not worry about cleaning their own bathrooms or, more importantly, buying toilet paper. In addition to coming with a meal plan, Greycliff residents also get treated to a kitchen so, if they wanted, they could cook. There's also a basement tailored for social gatherings.   

Essentially, Greycliff has both the advantages of off-campus living and on-campus living. It's close to the B-line and the string of houses that most students living off  campus reside in. Greycliff? More like Dreamcliff. We think people should change how they look at Greycliff. It's got the potential to be great and definitely doesn't deserve the stigma that it's acquired.

Rating 9.5/10

Vanderslice Hall

Vanderslice Hall, the most sought-after residence for sophomore year, prides itself on its relative youth in comparison to Walsh. Divided into mostly eight-mans with select nine-mans, Vandy houses mainly sophomores, in addition to juniors. Kitchenettes in Vandy come equipped with a large refrigerator, allowing for ample storage of leftovers and a place to hide your roommate's birthday cake. Perhaps more appealing than the refrigerator is the fact that Vandy has air conditioning in the suites, as opposed to solely in the study lounges. Studying also becomes much easier when the lounges have spectacular views of Lower Campus and spiral staircases. Those residents lucky enough to snag the rooms with the large windows overlooking Corcoran Commons have grand opportunities to people-watch and post unique messages for all to see via window paint. However, if they aren't careful, everyone on Lower Campus could witness them Dougie-ing in the common room on a Friday night.

Footsteps away from the Mods, St. Ignatius, and Commonwealth Avenue, Vandy offers its residents remarkable access to nearly everything except the academic buildings. The lack of vending machines in the building is balanced out by Vandy's close proximity to the glorious food of Corcoran Commons. For those who would prefer a Twix over a hot meal, though, that might be a problem.

Living in Vandy also conjures up images of the residents' younger years, when many of them stayed in the dorm during Freshman Orientation. For the nostalgic ones, who enjoy reflecting on the past and how far they have come since then, this dorm is prime.