FIELD HOCKEY: BC Bounces Back At Harvard

Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012

The No. 17 Boston College field hockey team went into its two games this weekend with a goal of sweeping both of their Boston rivals. Although they couldn’t beat No. 12 Boston University Friday night at home, the Eagles dominated a Sunday day game at Harvard to bring their season record to 4-2.

The Eagles won 3-0 yesterday, and truthfully, the game was over by halftime. BC took 15 shots in the first half compared to two by Harvard, and had seven corners while the Crimson had none.

“I was impressed with Harvard’s energy and determination on the field today,” said head coach Ainslee Lamb. “We needed to work very hard for the win. The team found a way to come out with a positive result.”
Chapin Duke scored her first goal of the season off a corner just 4:48 into the game. Nicole Shuster—on the first of her two assists—attempted a shot, which Duke then deflected into the net.

Shuster also contributed to a goal with four minutes left in the half, setting up Emma Plasteras for a long-range snipe into the upper right corner of the cage.

Although Harvard did take 11 shots to BC’s five in the second half, they didn’t lead to any scores, as BC goalkeeper Leah Settipane kept everything in front of her. The defense, led by senior captain Kara Mackintire, kept the Crimson at bay all game long.

With just under seven minutes left, the Eagles extended their lead to three. Senior captain Jacqui Moorfield hit the ball near the goal, and AshLeigh Sebia deflected it for the first score of her career.

BC’s game against BU on Friday was much closer.

“The BU-BC rivalry is always an emotional, intense game,” Lamb said. “I felt that we played hard and maintained our composure throughout the game, which is something we have been working hard on.”
BU got off to an early lead with a goal by Leslie Zules 12:06 into the game, but BC quickly countered, just two minutes and 29 seconds later. Jacqueline Kelleher scored the first goal of her career following up off of her own rebound.

The game wasn’t tied for long, however, as 20 minutes into the game BU struck again, this time on a Terrier shot from the top left corner of the circle.

BC could not manage a score after that, despite taking more shots (14-10) and having more corners (7-5) than BU.

The outcome of the match, though, was not the most important part of the night.

Before the contest, the Eagles honored former player Kathleen Murphy. The 2009 graduate found out she had multiple sclerosis during her junior year at BC. The Eagles have raised over $35,000 for the MS Society since 2007, and presented a fundraising check to MS Society representative and BC graduate David Young-Hong.