FIELD HOCKEY: BC Picks Up Two On The Road

Eagles Get Wins Over No. 21 Duke and Longwood

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

The Boston College field hockey team entered this weekend’s road trip south with a 5-5 record and without an ACC win. The Eagles took significant steps toward improving both of those stats with two big wins this weekend, defeating both No. 21 Duke on Friday night and Longwood University on Sunday afternoon. With the two wins, the Eagles improve to 7-5, and are now on a three-game winning streak after defeating Providence last week.

On Friday night in Durham, BC took down the Blue Devils 2-1, behind goals from Hannah Nedeau and freshman AshLeigh Sebia, who tallied the game winner barely a minute into the second half. BC had gotten on the board first, 14 minutes into the game with Nedeau connecting on a cross from Virgynia Muma.

Duke evened the score as time expired in the first half. Brenna Rescigno scored her third goal of the season on a corner, beating BC freshman goalie Leah Settipane. It was the only goal that Settipane would surrender that night—the BC keeper stopped each of the other nine shots that Duke put on goal during the contest.

After a halftime break that was extended by a short rain delay, it didn’t take BC long to seize control of the game. The Eagles earned a penalty corner only a minute and 17 seconds into the half, and promptly took advantage. Emma Plasteras inserted the corner, where Paige Norris made the stick stop and passed the ball to Jacqui Moorfield, who found Sebia for the goal. It was Moorfield’s 10th point of the season—the senior co-captain from New Zealand leads BC in that category.

Duke continued to put pressure on the BC defense, launching five second half shots at Settipane, but the freshman was equal to the task and stopped every one to make the BC advantage hold up until the final whistle.

Head coach Ainslee Lamb was extremely pleased with her team’s performance against the Blue Devils.

“It’s always nice to get that first conference win,” Lamb said. “But more than that I think we proved that we can play with and beat a top level program, and that’s what I’m really pleased about coming out of this win.”
The Eagles continued their hot streak on Sunday afternoon when they travelled to Farmville, Va. to take on Longwood University. The Eagles fell behind early after the Lancers got a goal from Stacey de Grandhomme only eight minutes into the game. BC would rally, however, equalizing the game about six minutes later. Kelcie Hromisin whacked a hard shot off Lancers goalie Meg Mitchell, and Chapin Duke was there to slam home the rebound and tie the game.

The Eagles would take the lead for good with five minutes to go in the first half when Paige Norris calmly beat Mitchell on a penalty stroke goal. In the second half, BC added an insurance goal with Muma scoring five minutes into the half on a rebound from a shot by Sebia.

Settipane was again called upon to preserve a BC lead down the stretch and she did just that, snuffing out three Longwood shots in the final six minutes of the game. Settipane concluded an excellent weekend by stopping five of six Lancer shots.

Lamb was extremely complimentary of Settipane’s play, both over the weekend and throughout the entire season.

“Leah was excellent all weekend. She probably single-handedly won us the Duke game … and while she wasn’t tested as much against Longwood, she made all the saves we needed her too,” Lamb said. “We have all been so impressed by her play coming in here as freshman goalkeeper.”
Lamb was also happy with her team’s overall performance over the weekend.

“These two wins go a long way towards getting this program where we want to be,” Lamb said. “We can come out of this weekend with something to build on and I feel it gives us momentum heading into the next part of our season.”
BC will look to continue its hot streak in a huge conference game against conference leading North Carolina on Saturday in Newton, Mass. Lamb is confident that her squad will continue its great play when the Tar Heels come to town.

“UNC is a top-notch program,” Lamb said. “I am confident that we will match them in intensity and that we will elevate our game. I’m confident heading into next weekend.”