FIELD HOCKEY: BC Suffers OT Heartbreaker

Published: Monday, September 17, 2012

fh

The Boston College field hockey team traveled to Maryland’s Field Hockey Complex this weekend to take on the Terrapins Friday and the James Madison Dukes on Sunday. The Eagles came away with two losses, bringing their record to 4-4 after having begun the season 3-0.

Yesterday was BC’s first double overtime game of the year, and it ended in heartbreaking fashion.

“This was an unfortunate loss with good preparation to compete against James Madison,” head coach Ainslee Lamb said. “Our players showed tremendous character to come back and tie it up with the kicking back in place. We have made significant improvements with playing in the overtime session. We clearly need to finish our opportunities when they are afforded to us.”

Neither team scored in the first half, during which JMU had more shots (10-5) and corners (5-3) than the Eagles.

65:47 into the game, the Dukes’ Bethany Ashworth broke a scoreless tie with her second goal of the season, a tip-in following a corner. But BC didn’t let JMU have the lead for long, as Jacqui Moorfield scored just 112 seconds later, also off of a corner.

Those were the last points for the next 25 minutes. Each team managed only two shots in the first overtime period, which was played 7-on-7 instead of the usual 11 players per team.

Seven minutes into the second OT period, JMU’s Taylor West scored on an unassisted tip-in, as the Dukes raised their season record to 5-2.

On Friday night, the Eagles got off to a hot start against one of the best teams in the nation: defending champions and No. 4 Maryland. BC scored three goals in the first 26 minutes, including two by sophomore Katlyn Soucy.

Maryland would fire back though, and rattled off seven unanswered scores. It was the most points the Eagles have allowed this season. Out of the 16 shots Maryland had throughout the game, they connected on almost half of them.

Alyssa Parker pulled off a hat trick for Maryland, and Ali McEvoy added two goals. In a span of 12 minutes beginning 57:12 into the game, the Terps scored four goals to bring the score from 3-3 to 7-3. BC’s Nicole Shuster then scored with just under a minute remaining in the contest, but it was a matter of too little, too late.