FIELD HOCKEY: Eagles Find Success In Homestand Against Ranked Opponents

Published: Monday, October 15, 2012

The No. 24 Boston College field hockey team was able to gain some confidence playing at home this weekend, defeating two ranked opponents with a 1-0 victory over the No. 10 Northeastern Huskies (10-3) on Friday night and a 6-2 victory over the No. 20 New Hampshire Wildcats (7-7) on Sunday afternoon. With these victories, the Eagles (9-6) were able to pick up their two first home wins of the season. Both games were played at the Newton Sports Complex. In yesterday’s game, the team raised money and awareness for cancer in the “Stick It To Cancer” game.   

After gaining their first home victory on Friday night against Northeastern, the Eagles looked to stay strong against the Wildcats on Sunday. BC was able to gain its fourth win against a ranked opponent this year on the back of freshman Jordyn Hamilton, who recorded a hat-trick in her team’s 6-2 victory. The six goals scored by BC marked the most the Eagles had scored in a game this year.

“One of the goals today was to shoot,” said head coach Ainslee Lamb, according to BC Athletics. “It’s exciting to see the results of putting the ball to goal. I’m excited that the players reaped some reward for executing that goal.”

The Eagles took an early lead in the 12th minute of play when Hamilton scored her first of three goals.   This came when junior Paige Norris struck the ball into the circle, where Hamilton received the pass and chipped it into the right corner of the net.

The Wildcats responded to tie the game at 1-1 seven minutes later. Casey Pohlmeyer received the ball in the circle off a corner and quickly passed it to Megan Bozek. Bozek struck the ball from the center past Eagles goalie Leah Settipane to tie the game.

With just over a minute left in the first half, BC sophomore Sarah Hospodar made a defensive play that was able to keep the Eagles from falling behind. UNH’s Meg Flatley drew Settipane out of the goal on a breakaway. After having the ball knocked away by Settipane, Flateley regained possession of the ball and took a shot. Hospodar had positioned herself in front of the goal and deflected Flateley’s shot to preserve the tie.

“Her will to win is incredible,” Lamb said of Hospodar. “Those types of saves and that type of defense happens because of her desire for BC field hockey to be successful.”

Building off the momentum from Hospodar’s defensive stop, the Eagles scored with eight seconds left in the first half. Sophomore Katlyn Soucy dribbled into the circle and found the back of the net to put the Eagles on top 2-1 as the first half came to a close.

Hamilton collected her second goal 10 minutes into the second half when freshman AshLeigh Sebia struck a shot that Hamilton redirected in front of the net for a goal, putting the Eagles up 3-1.

In the 58th minute, UNH cut the deficit to one when Pohlmeyer dumped the ball off to Meg Carroll in front of the net, and was able to record her fourth goal of the season to make the score 3-2.

After that point, BC took control of the game. Freshman Kelcie Hromisin struck a shot that Sebia tipped in to make it 4-2. Shortly after, junior Chapin Duke scored on an assist by Hromisin, who centered the ball to Duke at the stroke line. Duke was able to score her fifth goal of the season to make it 5-2 with 10 minutes left to play. In the 65th minute, Hamilton recorded her third goal of the day after beating a defender and set the score at a final of 6-2.

“I am so thrilled for Jordyn … As a freshman, you have to work really hard, and she [has] been putting in the work day in and day out,” Lamb told reporters of Hamilton. “I am really excited to see that pay off for her.”

BC outshot UNH 22-7 in the victory, while Settipane recorded two saves for the Eagles and Carlie Tarbell recorded 10 for the Wildcats. Alongside Hamilton’s hat trick, Hromisin ended the day with a goal and two assists for the Eagles.

1 comments