FIELD HOCKEY: Eagles Snap Their Three-Game Skid

BC Holds Strong For Full 70-Minute Effort In Win

Published: Sunday, September 23, 2012

fh

The Boston College field hockey team broke its three-game losing streak yesterday by defeating the Providence Friars 3-2 on the road. It brought the Eagles to 5-5 on the year, and gave them an important win before another tough matchup against an ACC opponent later this week.

“This was a great regional win for the team,” said head coach Ainslee Lamb. “The entire team contributed to the performance and ultimately the win. We did a better job of creating threatening opportunities in the attacking circle and working hard to provide scoring chances.”
BC jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead 15 minutes into the game. Chapin Duke scored her third goal of the season at the 13:25 mark, a tip-in off a corner that was assisted by Jacqui Moorfield.

Just 71 seconds later, Virgynia Muma followed that with a score of her own. Katlyn Soucy made a nice cross right in front of the goal, and Muma one-timed it for her fourth goal of the season, which leads the team.

There was no scoring for the rest of the half, in which BC both outshot (4-3) and had more corners (4-1) than Providence. The Friars would get one back 4:10 into the second period, as Providence capitalized after a corner.

BC proceeded to outshoot Providence 12-2 in the second half. That led to another goal for the Eagles with 16 minutes left, an unassisted score by Moorfield off of a corner. After that the game was never really in doubt, though the Friars did cut the deficit to one with a goal in the 62nd minute. Yet it was too little too late, as BC hung on for its first win since Sept. 9.

“As always, Providence played hard until the very end, and I felt our players did a good job of maintaining their composure and level of play throughout the game,” Lamb said.

BC will continue its ACC slate at No. 19 Duke this weekend.