FIELD HOCKEY: In Her Second Season At BC, Plasteras Coming Into Her Own

Published: Friday, September 28, 2012

fh

Anyone looking at the field hockey resume of Emma Plasteras can see that she is a player with exceptional talent. Originally from North Vancouver, British Columbia, she had an impressive career in Canada before joining the Eagles.

She has played for the Canadian National “A” team and the Canadian Junior National Team, she was a member of the British Columbia provincial team, and was the leading scorer at the Pan-American games in 2010. Also in 2010, she led her high school team to the Provincial Championship.

Now in her sophomore year at Boston College, she currently leads the team with assists (three), along with teammates Jacqui Moorfield and Nicole Schuster. Plasteras has also become one of the team’s leading scorers, with two goals already this season.

The strong start to the season should come as no surprise, since Plasteras demonstrated her ability as a power player throughout her freshman season with the Eagles in 2011.

As a freshman, Plasteras saw playing time in all 19 games of the season, and started in 13 of those games. Plasteras registered five goals and two assists in her freshman season with the Eagles.

Plasteras played as a forward during her freshman year, but this season she entered a new position on the midfield line. In her new position as a midfielder, she is excited at the prospect of helping her teammates on the forward line score.

“It’s always exciting to get the goal, but helping get the goal with the assist is just as exciting,” Plasteras said. Her willingness to help teammates score demonstrates her desire not only for personal successes, but also for the success of the team.

Coming into the 2012 season, Plasteras and her teammates had every reason to be optimistic. BC ended its 2011 season with a 10-9 record. This was the program’s 12th consecutive winning season.

The motivation from last year seemed to carry over into the first couple weeks of the 2012 season. The Eagles won four out of their first five games, against Michigan State, University of Maine, and Quinnipiac. After losses to Massachusetts and Boston University, the Eagles were able to rebound by defeating Harvard.

Plasteras was a key player in each of these games. She scored her first goal of 2012 against Maine, contributing to the Eagles’ 4-1 victory over the Black Bears.

Two weeks later, against Harvard, Plasteras scored her second goal of the season. This goal again contributed to the victory, as the Eagles went on to defeat the Crimson 3-0.

Plasteras racked up her three assists against Maryland, where she had two, and against James Madison University, where she had one. Unfortunately, the Eagles were unable to secure a win in either of these games. Nevertheless, Plasteras’ assists and the goals of her teammates kept them in the fight until the end.

Although the Eagles seemed to be on a hot streak at the beginning of the season, they had since cooled off, losing four consecutive games. After their win against Harvard, they fell to No. 1 Maryland, James Madison University, and No. 5 Virginia.

Ever optimistic, though, Plasteras looked to these losses as learning experiences, and said they provided a base on which the team could build. Specifically, she looked to the Sept. 21 loss against Virginia.

“We knew going into the game that it was going to be tough,” Plasteras said. “They have a couple of Olympians on their team … but we played till the end, and it was a proud loss.”

The Eagles were able to put away a goal in the last 10 minutes of the game, evidence that even though they may have hit a rough patch, they were giving it their all until the last minute of every game.

Any indication of a rough patch vanished two days later in their Sept. 24 game against Providence. The Eagles defeated the Friars 3-2 on their home field.

“It was a great regional win for the team,” said head coach Ainslee Lamb, “The whole team contributed to the performance, and ultimately the win.”

Plasteras had similar feedback about Sunday’s game, when asked how it represented the team moving forward this season.

“This weekend’s win was a turning point,” Plasteras said. “We came out of Friday’s game against Virginia and had our minds set on Sunday. Our main focus was to win, and we were able to do that.”

The Eagles have a tough game coming up tonight. They play No. 5 Duke in Durham, N.C. Plasteras believes that last weekend’s win has set the tone for the rest of the season, though.

“I’m excited going forward, especially coming off such a good weekend,” she said.

While only a sophomore, Plasteras has emerged as a leader on the field hockey team. The Eagles have 12 returning players, and 10 newcomers this season.

“We have a really young team, so I’ve taken more of a leadership role this year and the future looks really bright,” Plasteras said.

With plenty of playing time ahead of her, Plasteras has time to develop her role as a leader, and also look ahead to long-term goals that she has set for herself, and for the team. These goals include winning the ACC tournament, as well as making the NCAA tournament.

The future certainly looks bright for Plasteras and the rest of the Eagles. It is evident that she has the playing talent and leadership ability to take the Eagles to the next level.