FIELD HOCKEY: Top Big East Teams Best BC

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2012

Before the Big East’s top two teams, No. 3 Syracuse and No. 4 UConn, face off for the conference’s regular season title next Saturday, the No. 16 Boston College field hockey team got a shot to score upsets against both squads, but came up short each time. The Eagles fell to the Huskies 5-1 Thursday night at home and were defeated by the Orange 4-2 yesterday afternoon in Syracuse.

The offensive struggles that began against UConn carried over into BC’s matchup with Syracuse. Freshman Gillian Pinder led the way for Syracuse yesterday, notching two goals and two assists for the Orange. Just two and a half minutes into the match, Pinder opened up the scoring with a reverse-stick shot. Pinder then scored an assist 20 minutes later to raise the Orange lead to two before notching yet another assist early in the second half, extending the lead even further.

The Eagles began a small comeback in the 40th minute when freshman forward Kelcie Hromisin netted a rebound goal off a penalty shot, and then six minutes later fellow freshman forward Jordyn Hamilton scored to bring the Eagles within one goal.

Only seven minutes later, Pinder ended BC’s comeback hopes with a goal off a penalty corner. The Eagles pulled freshman goalkeeper Leah Settipane for the final 10 minutes, but it didn’t create any successful scoring opportunities.

On Thursday night, an extremely talented UConn squad, one of the best in the country, proved to be too much for the Eagles to handle both on the offensive and defensive end.

“My first thought was that UConn is very talented,” head coach Ainslee Lamb told BC Athletics. “It is a top-four program and they demonstrated that they deserve to be in that top tier tonight. I felt that we had an apprehensive first half, but I was pleased that our players listened and implemented the game plan in the second half. More importantly than tactics, their energy, pride and character were tremendous in the second half.”
The Huskies tallied three goals in the first half, including one with just nine seconds left before halftime, while the Eagles didn’t get a shot off during the first period of play. Five minutes into the second half, junior Chapin Duke brought in her sixth goal of the season, but the scoring couldn’t continue for the Eagles, who eventually lost by four goals.

BC has a chance to improve its seed heading into the ACC Tournament this Friday with a home game against Wake Forest. The Eagles are currently tied with the Demon Deacons for fourth place in the ACC with 1-3 conference records. The winner will likely secure the fourth seed in the tournament, which begins on Nov. 1.