FIELD HOCKEY: Wake Knocks BC Out Of ACC Tourney

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012

It’s always tough to beat the same team twice in a row, especially a squad that always puts up a tough fight. The Boston College field hockey team found that out on Thursday afternoon against Wake Forest when the fourth-seed Eagles fell to the fifth-seed Demon Deacons 3-1 in the opening round of the ACC tournament. BC had defeated Wake 2-1 to close out its season a week ago.

“It’s difficult. It’s never easy to lose,” said head coach Ainslee Lamb. “The team gave everything it could in that game, and that is all I asked them to do. I think that the future is very bright for BC field hockey. Overall, I feel that our achievements this fall were above and beyond.”
The Eagles’ last three tournament contests have been against the Demon Deacons, and the game was only the second out of the last 10 meetings to be decided by more than one goal. Chasing its first tournament victory, the Eagles fell behind early and couldn’t catch back up.

Jillian Anzalone drove on the net with just over seven minutes to go in the first half and scored to give the Deacons a 1-0 lead. After a few missed opportunities from the Eagles, Anna Kozniuk hit a cross to Jess Newak, who knocked in a goal during the 56th minute to put Wake up 2-0.

With 13 minutes left in the game, BC sophomore Kaitlyn Soucy tipped the ball into the net off of an assist from senior Jacqui Moorfield to cut the lead to one, but when the Eagles pulled freshman goalie Leah Settipane with eight minutes to play, the Deacons took advantage with a quick goal that sealed the game. The first-round conference tournament loss ended the season for the Eagles earlier than they would have liked.

Despite the loss, Lamb found plenty to be proud of in the Eagles’ 2012 campaign, including the play of seniors Moorfield and Kara Mackintire.

“We had two tremendous seniors as leaders, and we’re very grateful to Jacqui and Mack,” Lamb said. “They showed us what BC field hockey is and what it should be defined by.”
BC finished the year with a record of 10-9, marking its 14th straight winning season. One of the highlights for the Eagles included sophomore Emma Plasteras being named to the All-ACC team last week. Plasteras started in all of the Eagles’ games as a midfielder.

“I am so thrilled for Emma to be recognized by the ACC coaches,” Lamb said. “This is quite a compliment and accomplishment to receive this prestigious honor. It is exciting to see Emma rewarded for all of her preparation, hard work, and commitment to contributing all that she can to the team’s success. She has put forth tremendous effort to be performing at this elite level, and it is amazing that as a sophomore, she is achieving this level of play. It is exciting that her future holds many more accolades and successes.”
With a young core of talented players around Plasteras, the Eagles will look to build on their success from this year going into this offseason and their 2013 campaign.