Five New Members Join BC Board Of Trustees

Published: Sunday, September 16, 2012

As the Boston College undergraduate community welcomes the freshman Class of 2016 to its ranks, the Board of Trustees is also welcoming freshman members of its own. Five new members have joined the board for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Patrick Carney, BC ’70, is chairman and CEO of Claremont Companies. Carney founded the firm in 1968, which encompasses real estate investment, development, and asset management. He has served as chair of the Trustee Committee on Development, and he and his wife Lillian established the Frederick J. Adelmann, S.J., chair in the University’s department of philosophy.

Michael H. Devlin II, BC ’88, is the managing director of the investment firm Curragh Capital Advisors in New York City. Devlin has served as a member of the University’s New York Campaign Leadership and Wall Street councils. Additionally, Devlin and his brother Matthew, BC ’90, established the Katharine B. and Robert M. Devlin Student-Athlete for Education Leadership Development Program at BC.

Mario J. Gabelli, a graduate of Fordham University who holds an MBA from Columbia University, is chairman and chief executive officer of GAMCO Investors, having founded the institutional broker-dealer firm in 1977. Additionally, he serves as an overseer at the Columbia University Graduate School of Business, and on the boards of Roger Williams University and the Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States.

Joseph “Jay” Hooley III, BC ’79, is the chairman and chief executive officer of State Street Corp., a Boston-based financial services holding company. Hooley is additionally a member of the Carroll School of Management’s Finance Advisory Board and chairman of the Center for Asset Management. He also serves on the boards of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Boston Financial Data Services, Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston, and the President’s Council of the Massachusetts General Hospital.

Ralph Stayer, a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, is the chairman and chief executive officer of Johnsonville Sausage, LLC, of Wisconsin. Stayer serves on the board of directors of Brunswick Corp., the Boys and Girls Clubs in the Midwest Region, and the Boomer Esiason Foundation. He is also a past chairman of the Marian College Board of Trustees, and was recently recognized for his generosity by the dedication of Stayer Hall. Stayer was publically welcomed to the Board of Trustees at the event.

The news of new members of the board of trustees comes following negative publicity in April, when Rev. Bradley M. Schaeffer, S.J., resigned from the board of trustees in the face of mounting criticism of the role he played in supervising a former Jesuit priest who faced allegations of child molestation.

The five new members were welcomed to the Board for the 2012-2013 school year, bringing the total number of trustees to more than 55.