Fleabag seating issues unnecessary and stifling

Published: Monday, November 5, 2012

This past weekend, the Boston College comedy troupe My Mother’s Fleabag had their semiannual “Big Show” at the O’Connell House (OCH). Fleabag shows have long been a popular event on campus, filling the floor and balcony of the OCH.

Last weekend, a problem arose when students were forced to vacate the balcony with little warning due to safety concerns. They were told to either “squeeze in” with other students or to sit on the floor, creating general chaos. In some cases, students were forced to leave, since by the time the administration decided that the balcony was a safety issue, all of the floor seats had been taken. As a result of the commotion, the show was delayed by half an hour.

The Heights believes that the way in which students and members of Fleabag were treated Saturday night was disrespectful and inappropriate. While Fleabag crowds are traditionally somewhat rowdy, this crowded atmosphere has not posed an issue for members of Fleabag, students, or the administration until now. In fact, the quality of the show is often enhanced by this sort of environment, since the show relies heavily on audience participation.

In addition, The Heights feels that the measures taken by the administration did little to improve the safety of students. Audience members were moved from the balcony, which has proven its stability in years past, to seated positions on the floor, some in front of fire exits. We urge the administration to review its handling of this situation in order to better ensure future events are safe and enjoyable for all attendees.