FOOTBAL: Notebook | Defense Welcomes Bye Week After Active Game

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Boston College’s defense took quite a beating this past week in its 22-13 loss at Northwestern, allowing 560 yards over 100 offensive snaps, despite 24 tackles from Nick Clancy.

“I was a little fired up being from Chicago, playing Northwestern at home, and I guess I just got into a zone. But when it’s all said and done, I’d rather have no tackles and a win,” Clancy said.

Clancy was a huge part of the Eagles’ defensive effort on Saturday. Yet, the defense was playing without one of its top defenders, Kaleb Ramsey, due to a calf injury.

“One-on-one, I think Kaleb Ramsey is unblockable. I think he’s an unbelievable defensive tackle. He’s just a man out there playing with boys. It’s truly unbelievable,” Clancy stated. Ramsey has had a tough start to the year, recording only two solo tackles in the win against Maine and two assisted tackles in the season opener loss against Miami.

The biggest weaknesses of the Eagles’ defense on Saturday was that it could not get off the field. They repeatedly allowed the Wildcats to advance on third and long, which was a key factor in the loss for BC. Throughout the game, the defense struggled with the Wildcats’ third down plays, as they converted 12 of 19 third downs. Overall, Northwestern recorded only one touchdown despite the amount of yards the Eagles allowed.

The play of Trevor Siemian, Northwestern’s backup quarterback, caught Clancy by surprise though.

“I was actually surprised that Siemian played as much as he did. We thought they were going to go racecar with [Kain] Colter the whole time and have him run around and make us miss and maybe try to get us tired, but we were surprised, yet ready for [both quarterbacks],” Clancy said. The Eagles’ defense managed to hold Colter to only 66 yards, but allowed the only Wildcat who found the end zone, Mike Trumpy, to rush for 106 yards.

On a positive note, the BC defense did recover two of the three fumbles by Northwestern’s offense, which led to both a field goal and a touchdown for the Eagles. The defense also had two sacks, one of which was from Kevin Pierre-Louis for nine yards and the other from Kasim Edebali for six yards.

A week to recuperate
Going into the bye week, the BC defense can take a sigh of relief and recuperate after enduring 100 snaps in last week’s game. In Clancy’s opinion, this bye week is much needed from a defensive point of view, insisting that many of the defenders felt fatigued after Saturday’s loss.

“It’s kind of one of those weeks where we are getting some of the starters off their feet, getting some of the younger guys some reps, and just individually getting better this week. That’s what a bye week is really for,” Clancy said.

Having this bye week, the team won’t focus on its next opponent, Clemson, quite yet. The players are trying to clear their heads from this past week and gain the confidence they need to take on No. 10 Clemson the following week at home.

On the other hand, Chase Rettig and the Eagles’ offense are eager to get back on the field.

“I think it would be nice to have a game this week because when you lose you want to go out and get a victory. However, at the same time, I think it will be beneficial for us to recuperate and get healthy again,” Rettig said.

This week could be very beneficial to Brian Miller, a tight end who recently has been sitting out due to a knee injury, but he may make an appearance next weekend against Clemson. In addition, this bye week allows Colin Larmond, Jr., a wide receiver out with a leg injury, and Jake Sinkovec, a fullback out with a foot injury, time to recover.

So far, it has been a bit difficult to completely forget about the loss this past weekend, especially with no game this weekend. Nevertheless, Clancy said that head coach Frank Spaziani has been getting his team into the right mindset to do so.

“Coach has been saying, ‘Walk on the field, then walk off the field, and win or lose, we put everything behind us,’” Clancy said.

Glued to the TV
This coming weekend, the Clemson Tigers (3-0, 0-0 ACC) take on the No. 4 Florida State Seminoles (3-0, 1-0 ACC), both upcoming opponents for the Eagles. Many BC players will be glued to the TV this weekend, watching each and every move made by both teams. The Eagles are anticipating a well-fought game by both Clemson and Florida State this weekend, and are eagerly awaiting to take on both teams in the near future.