Football Finally Sees Its First Live Game Action In Intrasquad Scrimmage

Sports Editor

Published: Monday, March 19, 2012

Two weeks away from the annual Jay McGillis Spring Game, the Boston College football team held its first scrimmage of the spring at Alumni Stadium on Saturday. The intrasquad matchup was the first time the team saw game action under a revamped coaching staff.

“I think it was good,” said head coach Frank Spaziani. “We came out with a little bit of edge. It was a good start, with new coaches and some young players. I would liked to have ended better, but that’s how we have to learn.”
Under new offensive coordinator Doug Martin, quarterback Chase Rettig finished the day 12-of-19 through the air, passing for three touchdowns. Rettig looked most impressive during the red zone possessions, when he started two straight drives at the 20-yard line. Both drives lasted just one play, with a touchdown pass to Chris Pantale, and another to Alex Amidon.

“I think Chase was fine,” Spaziani said. “We had some receiver issues and a couple guys that went down. We’re already thin over there, but I think he managed the game well. It’s his first time under fire with the new stuff, and I think he handled it real well. He’s been having a good spring so far. He’s been having good practices so far, and he continued with it today.”
Josh Bordner saw action under center as well, mainly with the second unit. He completed eight-of-15 passes, and threw a 40-yard touchdown to Spiffy Evans.

The running backs split playing time as well, with Tahj Kimble seeing the most carries. The sophomore highlighted the day with a 20-yard touchdown run, starting out on the left sideline before crossing all the way back to the right sideline before gaining yards. Andre Williams received the second most carries, which included a 30-yard touchdown run that displayed his brute speed.

The Eagles were forced to play without some of their regular starters, who sat out due to injuries. This included six defensive backs, two offensive linemen, and Kevin Pierre-Louis at linebacker.

“Spring is about not beating anybody, if you will,” Spaziani said. “It’s not about the team. It’s about individuals getting better. We’ve got to have enough guys to line up, and then the other guys can practice.”
Luke Kuechly was at the scrimmage, but stood on the sideline for the first time as he prepares for the NFL draft. The linebacking core of Steele Divitto, Sean Duggan, Nick Clancy, and Nick Lifka got plenty of action in his absence and played well.

“I watched Duggan a little bit, and he’s a football player,” Spaziani said. “Steele has been playing for a while. Clancy, playing in the boundary, made some plays. I think we need to get some more depth over there.”
Another player to watch was redshirt freshman Brian Miller, who saw his first action in a BC uniform after having to sit out the past year with a knee injury. Miller is listed on the depth chart as a tight end, but lined up mostly in the slot as a wide receiver.

“Brian’s got some athletic skills, and he never really was an on-the-line tight end,” Spaziani said. “After his injury, it’s good to [have him back]. This is the first time he really scrimmaged since he had his horrific knee injury. For him to get through this was a big step, so we’re excited about him.”
The Eagles will scrimmage again next Saturday for the last time in the bubble, before it’s taken down. The following Saturday is the annual spring game, which will cap off the spring football season for BC.