FOOTBALL: Notebook - Amidon Records A Career Day In Loss

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

On a day when the offense once again came through with over 30 points, wide receiver Alex Amidon was the star. He caught eight passes for 193 yards and two touchdowns.

After coming into the year with 558 yards in his first two seasons, the junior has already surpassed that total this year. His 559 yards rank seventh among Division 1-A players, and that’s with Boston College playing one less game than most teams in the country. Yet Amidon continues to be modest about his success.

“It’s a lot to do with our scheme,” Amidon said. “If [they play zone] someone’s going to come open. Chase [Rettig] has been playing awesome. It’s a lot to do with him too.”
Early in the second quarter on Saturday, Amidon hauled in a 49-yard reception to set up a touchdown a few plays later. He broke free of the Clemson defender with a great stutter-step move, and Rettig had a 15-yard cushion to work with when he threw to him.

Just five minutes later, Rettig found Amidon going over the middle, and the receiver used his speed to beat the only man left to the front of the end zone. That score gave the Eagles a 21-17 lead, but it was the last time they would be ahead in the game.

“It’s something that’s new to us on offense, being able to move the ball like that,” Amidon said. “When you’re in the game, you don’t notice it. You just go with it. It’s fun being involved in an offense like this, for sure.”
Despite his personal success, how the team fares is what matters to Amidon.

“That’s all it’s about is winning, so at the end of the day you come away with 1-3. So that’s the only thing I’m looking at right now,” Amidon said. “It’s pretty frustrating.”

Defense Allows 40 points Again
The BC defense struggled to make plays throughout the course of the game. It allowed Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd to throw for 367 yards and three touchdowns, including 197 yards to wideout DeAndre Hopkins. The Tigers receivers were routinely open on plays downfield.

“They’re extremely talented, and have lots of weapons,” said linebacker Nick Clancy. “They aren’t afraid to use them.”
“We have to take responsibility on the back end, challenging more routes, and putting more on our shoulders,” said cornerback Sean Sylvia. “The offense is clearly putting points on the board. Now we have to take more ownership and start stopping some people.”
The Eagles were also beat by the rushing attack, as Clemson gained 209 yards on the ground. At times, it seemed that the Tigers’ backs could pick up four or five yards with ease, as BC’s defenders just could not match up with the speed and athleticism of Clemson’s runners.

“We were lined up right most of the time, but weren’t able to make some plays,” said head coach Frank Spaziani. “Those are very good players, and they’ve [had success] against a lot of people.”
The BC defense has now allowed over 1,100 yards in its past two games, and even with an offense as explosive as BC’s, the defense is giving the team little chance to win.

“We let up too many big plays,” Clancy said. “We’ll look at the film tomorrow, and we’ll see what the problems were, and we’ll get them corrected. We’ll be ready to go for Army, I’ll tell you that much.”

Revamped Offense
BC’s offense over the past couple of seasons has been predictable and stale. That’s changed with new offensive coordinator Doug Martin’s scheme, which has featured numerous formations and lots of passing yardage.

Saturday’s game saw a couple of trick plays, which rarely happened under the previous offensive regime. The Eagles’ third drive of the second quarter began with a reverse to receiver Bobby Swigert, who then threw on the run and hit Jonathan Coleman for a 28-yard gain.

Later in the game, Rettig contributed a trick play of his own. The Eagles lined up on a fourth and 10 inside Clemson territory, and Rettig took the snap and kicked a perfect punt, which pinned the Tigers on their four-yard line.

BC also went for it on fourth down four times, and was successful twice. One of those was a 31-yard touchdown pass to Amidon. The team has shown a propensity to go for it on fourth down this season, which wasn’t done often in previous years.