‘Forbes’ Ranks BC 26th Overall Among Colleges Nationwide

Editor-in-Chief

Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

In a recent list complied by Forbes and the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, which ranks the top 500 colleges in the nation, Boston College was ranked 26th overall, 25th among private institutions, and 14th among research institutions. This ranking places BC above Tufts (No. 32 on the Forbes list), Georgetown (No. 38), and Villanova (No. 83).

“We are delighted to be recognized as the 26th ranked university in the United States by Forbes, and we think it’s reflective of our reputation and standing as a University,” said University Spokesman Jack Dunn.

Forbes, relatively new to the college ranking game, uses a methodology that differs from long-standing sources U.S. News and World Report and The Princeton Review—taking into account student’s own impressions of the university they attend. Due to its unique set of criteria, Forbes places a number of colleges that typically rank lower on other lists much closer to the top.

In the 2012 college rankings published by U.S. News and World Report, BC was ranked 31st, under both Georgetown (No. 22 on the U.S. News list) and Tufts (No. 29).

In addition to a few of the criteria utilized by U.S. News and The Princeton Review, the Forbes list looks at factors including student impressions as to the amount of learning that occurred in each of their courses, the percentage of graduates who were placed in a job, and the average amount of debt incurred by the typical student at the institution. To gather data pertaining to student evaluations of professors and courses, Forbes relies on sources such as the website Ratemyprofessor.com.

U.S. News and The Princeton Review, typically held as steady sources in the realm of college rankings, each employ a broad range of criteria in compiling their rankings, many of which speak to detailed aspects of the academic and living conditions afforded by American universities.

Some of these factors include the quality of the first-year experience, professor teaching styles, retention rates, and whether or not the college offers learning communities and study abroad opportunities.

In addition to placing high on the Forbes list, BC was also recently named one of the 10 New Ivies by Unigo, a college website whose “advice and reviews are vivid in a way no guidebook can match,” according to The New York Times.

Referred to by the Wall Street Journal as a “college resource built for the age of YouTube and Facebook,” Unigo has partnered with USA Today, The Huffington Post, and a number of other news sources to provide college reviews and advice to prospective students.

This year, Unigo compiled a list of 10 schools that it felt represented the next generation of excellence, including BC, Georgetown, UCLA, and NYU.

“The city of Boston is home to a slew of famous and revered educational institutions, and on the eve of its 150th anniversary, Boston College is making sure it has a place at the table with schools like Harvard and MIT,” the site reads.