Fresh Perspective

Eight, Six, Four, No More

Published: Monday, March 19, 2012

Make friends of four, six, or eight. This is what the upperclassmen advised most of the freshmen first semester, and now I know why. If we had listened to them, we would not be stuck in this housing nightmare. There are only a couple of days left before we register for rooms, and students are still frantically looking for that one person to complete their eight-man. If they do not accomplish this vital task, then they have to worry about their greatest fear: ending up on College Road.

Surprisingly, Boston College offers freshmen a variety of housing. Some rooming options include an eight-man in Vandy, a four-person apartment in Edmond’s, or, if we are lucky, a six-person suite. It seems like everyone is going for an eight-man in Vandy, so all we can do is hope and pray that we get a registration time and it’s a killer one. Blocking is also another option that freshmen can choose if they have a close group of friends they want to live near next year. Another thing to take into consideration is, who gets the eight-man in 90 if there is only one left? This situation leaves freshmen with another tough decision they must make: to block or not to block?

My group of friends had a very stressful rooming situation that I am sure others had to deal with as well. We had five girls, and were stuck on what kind of room we wanted to live in next year. A four-person apartment would have been awesome because it would not get too hectic living with three other people, nor would we get stuck on College Road. Yet, one girl would be left to room with people she did not know, and everyone knew who that girl was going to be. A lot of tension arose from this situation. Some thought it was only fair not to leave her out and aim for an eight-man, while others thought it would be so much easier if we just dropped her. In the end, everyone came to their senses and realized we could not leave a close friend by herself.

Although it was very difficult finding three other people, we managed to do it with only a couple days to spare. Now, if we do not get an eight-man, it would just flat out suck because of everything we went through. We would have to break up, and I don’t even want to think about the issues that will arise. My roommate put it plain and simple: "Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. You’re not going to be able to please everyone, so you just have to choose what’s going to make the most people happy. But, if we end up on College Road, then I’m transferring."

When asked about CoRo, I received different responses from freshmen. Some were okay with it and said, "It definitely would not be my ideal situation, but if it happens, it happens. As long as my friends and I are all together, then it’ll be fine." Some mentioned that they would be very annoyed. Especially the freshmen currently living on Newton. But at least they wouldn’t have to take the bus.

In the end, I think it wouldn’t matter if we did not have the luxury of a kitchen or the space of a common room. The thing that matters most would be the fact that we’ll be living with our friends. I was devastated when I found out I was on Newton, but now I love it and would not have it any other way. So to all the freshmen who are losing sleep over housing, don’t worry about it, because somehow, it’ll all work out. I mean, there are worse things in the world … like going to BU.