GLC Document Outlines Positive Steps for BC

The Heights supports GLC's goals for community and encourages the University to follow suit

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2012

The GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC) has long fought for more recognition on campus, whether it comes from the student body, the UGBC, or the University's administration.  Successes have come in many areas. The GLC is now an equal part of the UGBC, along with Cabinet, Senate, and the AHANA Leadership Council. It holds an annual ball for students, and has begun a Queer Peers program. Furthermore, both ResLife and Health Services have provided training to employees regarding situations involving GLBTQ students.

But the GLC has also faced much resistance in other areas. Gaining recognition from the University has been difficult for GLC leaders, and though proactive presidents like Kelsey Gasseling, BC '11, and Carolyn McCrosson, A&S '12, have fought hard for progress, they have often been met with difficulties in getting through to the administration at its highest levels.

The Heights fully supports the GLC's document, "To New Heights," and agrees with the goals and provisions therein. A GLBTQ Resource Center, like the AHANA center, would give GLBTQ students a safe place to meet and receive support. An expansion of the Queer Peers program would let GLBTQ students feel more comfortable on campus.

At Boston College, we are called to be "men and women for others." We are not called to be "men and women for some." GLBTQ issues can no longer be ignored by the University at its highest levels. In the modern world in which we live, it is time to remove the stigma associated with homosexuality through acceptance and support. As a Jesuit-Catholic University, we are in the unique position to be able to effect real change on the social landscape and give GLBTQ students the resources and recognition they deserve