Groups Sing For Campus School Benefit

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013 00:01

Groups Sing For Campus School Benefit

Graham Beck // Heights Editor

Groups Sing For Campus School Benefit

Graham Beck // Heights Editor

Groups Sing For Campus School Benefit

Graham Beck // Heights Editor

Gasson 100 was filled with support on Thursday night for the Campus School’s second annual a cappella concert. Seven groups from Boston College sang a variety of songs, from today’s popular hits to classics, to benefit the Campus School.

Founded in 1970, the Campus School is a publicly funded private school at BC that educates and assists students with severe mental and physical disabilities. The Campus School provides education, health care services and therapeutic care in a healthy environment to children ages 3 to 21.

M.E. Hawkins, co-president of the Campus School Volunteers of Boston College (CSVBC) and LSOE ’13, outlined the volunteers’ mission in her introduction to the concert.

“As Campus School Volunteers, we have three main goals on campus, and that’s to fundraise, to spread awareness, and to be in the classroom with the students,” Hawkins said. CSVBC works extensively to benefit the Campus School, assist with students, and encourage the BC community to get more involved.

Cate O’Connor, co-president of CSVBC and A&S ’13, explained the extent of the organization and its efforts to support the Campus School.

“We manage about 400 BC volunteers who are all somehow involved in our organization,” O’Connor said. “This includes 60 chair members, who take charge of organizing fundraisers and events around campus in order to strengthen the relationship between the Campus School and the greater BC community.”
O’Connor also explained that the money raised goes directly to the Campus School students to provide them with the extensive technology and medical equipment needed to manage their disabilities. The events held each year raise about $120,000 to support the school and its students. Other fundraisers include an annual golf tournament, a broom hockey competition, and the biggest: donations from runners participating in the Boston Marathon.

“Our a cappella committee has been working extremely hard since October to contact groups, book rooms, and get equipment, and talk to local vendors for bake sale donations,” O’Connor said. “Their hard work definitely paid off and they made sure the concert was bigger and better than last year.”
The concert is one of four main fundraising events throughout the year, and planning has been in the works since October. The BC Sharps, Voices of Imani, the Bostonians, the Acoustics, the B.E.A.T.S., the Dynamics, and the Heightsmen all performed small sets, with a short intermission to allow patrons to make donations at the bake sale.

With songs ranging among rock, country, alternative, and religious, the groups all performed enthusiastically and frequently thanked CSVBC for asking them to be involved in the concert. The eclectic performances, like the Acoustics’ rendition of Radiohead’s “Creep” and the Dynamics’ mash-up of Rihanna’s “We Found Love” with Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” created an energetic atmosphere and livened up the packed hall.

O’Connor called the concert a success and expressed appreciation for the concertgoers’ donations.

“Overall, we were happy with the amount of publicity around campus, and we are ecstatic with the turnout on Thursday night,” O’Connor said. “We are extremely grateful to the entire BC community for helping support our students in any way that they can.”