Hall Of Fame Honors Nine Eagles For Their Commitment To Athletics

Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nine Boston College greats were honored on Friday night in Conte Forum, as they were inducted into the Varsity Club Hall of Fame: Mark Chmura, Maria Cicero, Don Fox, Antonio Granger, Amy LaCombe, Mike Mamula, Marty McInnis, Casey Schmidt, and Lou Tessier.

The theme of the night from the inductees’ speeches centered around how much BC meant to them and affected them, not only athletically but also academically and socially. Many of the former Eagles mentioned how humbled they were to now have their plaque hanging with the rest of the BC greats on the Hall of Fame’s wall in Conte Forum.

Eight of the former Eagles were in attendance for the ceremony, with Tessier being inducted posthumously after having died while serving his country in Vietnam in 1968. The track and field star’s sister and former teammates were all on hand to honor Tessier’s memory and accomplishments. Tessier originally walked onto the track and field squad as a freshman, becoming a household name by his senior year. He earned the title of captain after a meet at Holy Cross in which he volunteered to run a hurdles race, winning the whole meet for the Eagles. Tessier graduated from BC in 1965, the same year he was the New England 100-yard dash champion.

Chmura played tight end for the football team from 1988 to 1991, setting the school record for receptions with 164. That record is now good for third all-time at BC. The Deerfield, Mass. native also recorded 2,046 career receiving yards, and was a two-time All-ECAC honoree. Chmura went on to play eight seasons with the Green Bay Packers, helping them win the Super Bowl in 1997.

Cicero was a four-time All-American for her performances on the cross country and track and field teams. The 2005 graduate holds the BC record for the fastest time in the 10,000-meter event. Cicero also gained All-Big East selections four times, and earned All-Northeast Region three times in cross country.

After leading the men’s hockey team to the 1956 Frozen Four and the 1957 Beanpot Championship, Fox graduated in 1957 with various accolades for his play on the ice. He earned All-East and All-New England honors twice, and was named the team MVP in 1957. Lastly, Fox was named to the All-America honorable mention list during his senior year on the Heights.

If it were not for an NBA lockout the year he graduated from BC, Granger may have been able to make a name for himself in American professional basketball. Instead, Granger went to play in Europe, after he helped the Eagles get to two NCAA Tournaments in 1996 and 1997. The forward was a sharp-shooter from beyond the arc, leading the Big East in three-point field goal percentage during his junior year, and currently ranks sixth for 3-pointers (193) during his time at BC.

LaCombe was a two-time captain for the women’s basketball team, and is now a well-known professor in BC’s Carroll School of Management. The 1990 graduate is a member of the 1,000-point club, and still ranks in the top 15 all-time in both points scored (1,147) and steals (125). LaCombe was selected to the All-Big East second team as a junior and the third team as a senior.

Another NFL product, Mamula, was a 1995 graduate and played on the football team from 1991 to 1994. At defensive end, Mamula recorded 3.5 sacks in a game and 13 in a season, both of which are tied for the BC record. He finished his career with 24 sacks, and was named the Aloha Bowl MVP. After leaving BC, Mamula was drafted by Philadelphia seventh overall, and went on to play six seasons for the Eagles.

McInnis was a left wing on the men’s ice hockey team, and made a splash at BC right from the time he arrived. He played in more games than any other freshman during his first year, and then went on to finish third on the team in scoring as a sophomore with 53 points and second as a junior with 57 points. During his final year on the Heights in 1992, McInnis represented his country at the 1992 Winter Olympics. After he graduated, McInnis played 12 years in the NHL, collecting 170 goals and 250 assists.

Lastly, Schmidt graduated from BC in 2003, and was named Eagle of the Year during his senior year for his performance on the men’s soccer team. He earned NSCAA New England Regional All-America honors three times during his time at BC. Most impressively, Schmidt is currently ranked second in the program for career points with 82 and first in career goals with 35.