Health Coaches provide tailored health plan

The Heights urges students to try OHP's new Health Coach initiative to address unhealthy aspects

Published: Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Heights would like to commend the Office of Health Promotion (OHP) on their expanded Health Coach program. The initiative, which was started last year, trains students to lead individual and group discussions on a variety of health issues, as well as create tailored health plans.

As college students, maintaining a “healthy” lifestyle is exceedingly difficult. When trying to juggle classes, extracurriculars, and a vibrant social life, our well-being usually suffers in some way—whether it is missing sleep, eating a quick but unhealthy meal, skipping that workout, or accidentally drinking too much on a Saturday night. No one has the “perfect” balance.

The Heights believes, however, that the Health Coach program can help students come close. The coaches are trained to discuss a wide variety of health problems, such as nutritional health, sexual health, stress management, alcohol and drug use, and GLBTQ health issues. Whatever facet of your life could use some extra guidance, the OHP has the resources and appropriate program to assist you.

In addition, The Heights would like to acknowledge the structural strength of this program. All 45 of the Health Coaches are students, and therefore will probably better understand the specific needs of those they are advising. We also think that having peers run group discussions is beneficial, as fellow students will most likely feel more comfortable discussing issues with those who they believe identify with their predicaments.

We at The Heights urge students to look into a meeting with a Health Coach and support those who choose to attend their programs. Personal health is not a matter to ignore, and taking steps to address individual imbalances is an admirable choice indeed.