Her Campus 'Upgrades Lives' At Annual College Fashion Week

The Estate Hosts Runway For Collegiate Designers

Assistant Metro Editor

Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012

College Fashion Week, hosted by Her Campus, is an annual celebration of individuality, style, and love. The theme of this year’s festivities was “upgrade your life,” encouraging college students to express themselves through their clothing. College life is known for its monotony and homogeneity, especially here at Boston College where J. Crew and Vineyard Vines reign supreme.

The Estate Club housed the runway show and sported lavish decorations, including a disco ball, sparkling balloons, flowy curtains hanging from the balconies, and a decked out bar. Her Campus also integrated its signature pink and black colors throughout the club. The free goods given to all attendees were also quite popular—tote bags with the words “Surviving College in Style” were distributed throughout the event. These bags included Her Campus gear, Luna Bars, Unreal bars, Scunci hair accessories, Svelte protein shakes, a $100 discount card  from NuMe, and a Chipotle gift card. Kotex, a sponsor of the event, also distributed products to female guests. The snack bar, open to all guests, included food provided by Chipotle, Pinkberry, and Zico.

The fashion show, cast with students from Northeastern, Boston University, and BC, was composed of four main parts—School, Gym, Weekend, and Formal. After each section, a Boston University male a cappella group—the Dear Abbeys—performed renditions of Rihanna and Justin Timberlake hits for the audience. The first show, School, consisted of chic daywear, ranging from comfortable knits to patterned pencil skirts. The Gym outfits were all noted for their utility, comfort, and flattering structure. Fluorescent sneakers were also a key component of each outfit. Fashionable gym attire has become increasingly popular with the rise of brands like Lululemon, and celebrities like Heidi Klum have started their own active-wear lines. The Weekend segment included day-to-night wear, highlighting the functionality of certain pieces, like funky t-shirts and bold skirts.

For the Formal show, models sported edgy dresses, jumpers, and high-heels. Black was a pretty consistent color in each look, but there was at least one pop of color in each outfit to counteract the simpler elements. Throughout each of the shows, the stylists seemed to favor slicked back hair and sharp, simple make-up to show off the young ladies’ faces. Overall, the outfits and styling all coincided with the overarching theme of individuality and self-expression.

Her Campus was founded by three Harvard University undergraduates on Sept. 16, 2009. Since then, it has grown into a widespread website phenomenon with branches and representatives at over 200 college campuses. The website is almost a hybrid of perezhilton.com, style.com, and bcheights.com—all reliable, entertaining news sources with fun twists. BC’s Her Campus representatives are Meg Keefe and Caitlin Mann. Together, they compile and organize articles that currently include “How to Survive CoRo” and “How to Turn your Boyfriend into a Fashionista”—two uphill battles for BC’s female community.

Perhaps for BC more than any other school involved, the issue of conformity is an often-overlooked problem. BC students are pressured to look and act just like their peers. Her Campus advocates social and personal change through fun, self-loving events like College Fashion Week. Such organizations help make the college transition a bit smoother for freshmen, while serving as supplementary encouragement for the upperclassmen.