Internship Fair Draws BC Students

Assoc. News Editor

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Friday, January 25, 2013 14:01

Internship Fair Draws BC Students

Eun Hee Kwon // For The Heights

Last night, the Boston College Career Center hosted the Spring 2013 Internship Fair in the Heights Room in Corcoran Commons. The event ran from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and hosted an array of companies, including Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, Dunkin Brands, Citi, Epsilon, Liberty Mutual, Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Vistaprint. Students came to the Heights Room, dressed in corporate attire with resumes in hand, in the hopes of landing a spring or summer internship.

In preparation for the Internship Fair, the Career Center has been offering resume, cover letter and interview workshops for BC undergraduates throughout January. Students attended resume crash courses, interview prep workshops and career launch meetings to hone their interview skills and perfect their resumes. This year, the Career Center saw a significant turnout to the events.

“Students seem really prepared for the Internship Fair this year,” said Erin Hughes, Career Center Peer Advisor and A&S ’15. “A lot of students have used the resources available through the Career Center. The resume and cover letter workshops, interview workshops and resume critiques have prepared students for meeting with employers at the fair.”
For most of the night, the Heights Room was crowded with students. Liberty Mutual, Citi and Vistaprint were some of the more popular companies at the fair, with lines of students often running past the companies’ tables. Other local companies, including GateHouse Media New England and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, greeted students interested in internship positions. BC’s own start-up company, Jebbit, had its own table at the fair.

“It’s so nice that Boston College offers an opportunity like this right on campus,” Emily Hoffman, CSOM ’15, said. “There were companies that I was interested in beforehand and many that I hadn’t thought of previously but would definitely look into in the future.”
Lucy Smuckler, an English major and A&S ’15, was pleased with the turnout of students at the fair but felt the diversity of companies was lacking.

“I felt that a lot of the employers were geared toward CSOM students,” Smuckler said.

While some students found more success than others, there are more opportunities to come. The Career Center will be hosting the second day of the internship fair in the Heights Room today. Other companies attending the event include Boston Ballet, Cigna, Deloitte Consulting LP, Ernst and Young, KPMG and TD Bank. Students interested in the event should stop by Lower Campus between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.