Keeping With The Current

A Farewell With Words Of Wisdom

Assistant Arts & Review Editor

Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012

After two years, my time as a columnist has finally come to a close.

Since my days as a lowly sophomore, my weekly musings have taken up space in this section, where I was able to discuss whatever I found interesting, relevant, or vital in the art world that week. Sometimes I babbled about newly released trailers or award season hopefuls, and other times I attempted to explain my intense (sometimes odd) passions within the film or music realm. And while some weeks I found it was impossible to pick a topic or to hit the deadline, my time as a writer for The Heights has been a thoroughly unique and priceless privilege.

I came onto the scene as a writer for the paper two years ago, when I attended an arts writers meeting on a whim and picked up an album review (Brandon Flowers’ Flamingo, to be exact). Having only two days to complete the assignment, I anchored myself in a Bapst cubby for all of Tuesday afternoon, where I manically replayed the tracks and meticulously constructed a review. After I got positive feedback from the editors, I became a staff writer for the section and, not too long after that, a candidate for an editor position.

Despite losing in the election (to rather stellar competition, I may add), the new section editors awarded me with a role as a regular columnist. I took on the role and began to write weekly meditations about the prospects of various upcoming films.

A year later, I was quite comfortable in my columnist role and had few aspirations to run for an editor position when elections came around the next year. Yet, after conversing with an editor dressed as Trader Joe at a Halloween party, I set my sights on running again and, after another stressful election, was selected as the Assistant Arts & Review editor.

I need much more than a 750-word column to discuss all the great memories from the past year as an editor for The Heights, but, at the very least, I will say this: working on this newspaper has brought me close to some of the smartest, most dedicated, and most caring individuals I have ever come across in my life, including one exceptional person who is very close to my heart.

Okay, that was my sappy senior nostalgia trip. Now let me use the last half of my last column to give you a shred of wisdom.

My message can really be summed up in one single phrase—do what you want. Boston College offers an extensive variety of majors and concentrations, yet with many of these majors comes a specific and rather unfortunate set of typecasts.

I am proudly a CSOM student with a finance concentration, and I am well versed in all the labels that come with the major (money-hungry, job-obsessed, or, on the more extreme spectrum, soulless). Yet away from my business studies, I am a film studies minor, a radio broadcaster for WZBC sports radio, and, of course, an editor for this paper.

And while the minor and the activities might not seem too coherent or normal for a CSOM student, the mix seems very logical to me. They, like my finance concentration, are all things that I find fascinating and would like to spend my time at BC doing. After all, when else in your life could you do radio color for college hockey one day and write a movie review the next?

During my four years on this campus, I’ve realized that all those drunken alumni who blabber about cherishing the moment are not that crazy. College is a unique time in your life where you a) can do whatever you want with very minimal consequences, b) have access to a wide array of unique opportunities, and c) are surrounded by like-minded individuals.

So, take advantage of everything around you. Join a club just because it looks interesting, even if it doesn’t bolster your resume. Go to an event just because you like the subject, even if your friends don’t want to go. Make a friend just because he said something interesting in class, even if you’re not in the same major.

Do what you want.

That concludes my column for the year. My deepest gratitude goes out to everyone who supported or took the time to read this clumsy weekly column of text.

Oh, and I think Silver Linings Playbook is the dark horse in this year’s Oscar race.