Lacrosse Gets Upper Hand On Hofstra In Home-Opener

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lacrosse

The No. 13 women's lacrosse team moved back above the .500 mark on Saturday with a 12-10 win over the Hofstra Pride at the Newton Campus Field. Freshman Mikaela Rix and junior Brooke Blue both contributed hat tricks for the Eagles, combining for half of Boston College's point total. Although the team pulled out the close victory, there is still room for improvement.

"It was nice to get in the win column again after a tough loss on Tuesday," said head coach Bowen Holden. "But I still don't think our team is playing at the level we are capable of playing."

Holden's players echoed that sentiment, saying that while the team played well, there is still room to grow.

"We're climbing right now," said captain and All-American Kristin Igoe. "We're still figuring it out, but we're definitely on the way up, I think. We are just learning each day and improving each day. This is definitely not our best right now, but we have a lot of potential."

Igoe showed glimpses of her potential throughout the game on Saturday. She contributed on every part of the field by playing solid defense, passing the ball well, and attacking the net vigorously. Igoe did, however, have some trouble finishing plays. After slashing through the Pride defense multiple times, she finished with two goals, but it took seven shots for her to put up those points.

"Our shooting, we can't be 12-for-28," Holden said. "We've got to be about 50 percent in our shooting, so that's certainly a huge thing. Taking care of the ball in key moments is going to be critical."

As Igoe becomes more efficient at the net, the Eagles should have an easier time putting away teams like Hofstra.

"It's early-on in the season, and we had a pretty tough loss to Syracuse, and some of the things we need to work on got exposed, but I think we responded well," senior Brittany Wilton said. "The coaches really pointed out what we need to work on, and I think we're only going to go up."

Holden commented on Igoe's play of late and how the Eagles will improve as she improves.

"Kristin obviously has a lot of experience, and she has a lot of talent," Holden said. "We still need to see more from her, and hopefully that will start to happen sooner rather than later. But we ask a lot of her, we do ask a lot of her. She's one of our best defenders, one of our best middies, one of our best attackers. She does it all, but we're definitely hoping to see her level really rise in these coming games."

Every time it looked like the Eagles were going to pull away, Hofstra answered. After opening the first 10 minutes with a 3-1 lead, the Pride began trading goals with BC. Five minutes into the second half when Hofstra pulled within one goal again, freshman Emily Mata replaced Catherine Conway in the net. Mata ended up allowing five goals, the same number that Conway gave up in her half of play.

"We needed somebody to step up and I made that decision," Holden said about the switch at goalie. "[Mata] had done a great job for us in the Syracuse game, so I had faith that she could come through for us, and we needed a momentum shift, and that's what she provided for us."

With the score at 10-9 after Hofstra got within one goal for the fourth time in the game, goals from Igoe, Rix, and Blue put the game out of reach. The Pride scored twice in the final five minutes, but the four-goal deficit was too much for Hofstra to overcome late in the contest.

The Eagles responded well on Saturday after a tough loss to No. 12 Syracuse, and the combination of young talent such as Rix and freshman Covie Stanwick, who also scored a goal, with experienced players like Igoe, Wilton, and Blue makes BC a tough out for any team. Finding consistent shooting and goaltending will lead to the improvement that Holden and her team are looking for.