Legion package a success for athletics

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Many Boston College students who looked to buy season tickets for men’s hockey over the past month have been disappointed to find out that there are none left. Those tickets were gone in August, as the Athletic Department sold out the section that holds just over 2,000 students at Conte Forum. The sellout was due in large part to the new Legion package, which combined season tickets for football, men’s hockey, and men’s basketball at a discounted price. Athletics was able to sell around 1,200 of those packages by August before they sold out. Another reason for the increased demand in hockey tickets was likely due to the success of the team on its run to capture the National Championship last year. The sellout is a testament to the strength of Jerry York’s hockey program, and a well-deserved recognition of the team’s accomplishments in recent years. 

The Heights believes this is great news for BC athletics, and we would like to congratulate the Athletic Department on the success of its new Legion package. The deal gives incentives to students to attend many games, including men’s basketball, which has been sparsely attended over the past few seasons. Although many students feel like they were caught off-guard by the sellout, the Athletic Department did do its part in giving the student body fair warning of the tickets going fast. There were multiple communications at the end of last semester, as well as throughout the summer, about making sure to buy your tickets.
Although it is unfortunate that there are many who have been left without hockey season tickets, we’d like to remind students that there are still ways to get to the games. One option is to buy season tickets in the young alumni section, located next to the student section.

Still, The Heights would like to see the Athletic Department continue to look for ways to offer tickets to more students who did not get in on the season package deal.
The Athletic Department is constantly working to connect with students and determine the best way to sell season tickets. It seems that the latest change with the Legion package has been successful, and we hope that the department will continue to improve the ticketing program to involve the largest number of students in the best possible way.

With all of this being said, The Heights would like to urge students with the Legion package to attend as many of the games as possible. This is a great opportunity to be a part of BC athletics, and it should not be wasted. The Legion package is a great new avenue for both fans and BC athletics, but the tickets must be utilized for it to be a true success.