Lovers’ Lounge Pairs Potential Daters, Emphasizes Choices

Special Projects Editor

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:02

Lover's Lounge Pairs Potential Daters, Emphasizes Choices

Chrissy Suchy // Heights Staff

The African Students’ Organization heated up the Cabaret Room with its annual Lovers’ Lounge, a dating game show. Hosts Maxine Cooper, CSOM ’14, and Cinique Ahmad, A&S ’14, kept the laughs coming as they introduced contestants and facilitated rounds. 
Saron Tekie, ASO’s events coordinator and A&S ’15, said that the event was put on partly because of the general lack of choice many people in African countries have when it comes to love. 
“Relationships are limited to your culture, your sexuality, and your economic status,” she said during her introduction of the event. Lovers’ Lounge, she said, redefined relationships through personal choice and creativity. 
To this end, Lovers’ Lounge featured a diverse range of students. No round was made up entirely of students with the same ethnic background, in the same Boston College school, or of the same age, giving the bachelors and bachelorettes a unique mix of potential dates. Two rounds were made up of GLBTQ participants as well. 
In each of the eight rounds, a bachelor or bachelorette sat behind a curtain and asked three mystery contestants a series of questions before presenting a rose to his or her choice. A bachelor and bachelorette were randomly selected from the audience to participate in the last two rounds. 
The questions quickly moved from sweet to salacious and back, with contestants being asked everything from “Where would you like to live one day?” to “If I were an ice cream cone, how would you eat me?” 
The answers were equally creative, as each contestant had to rely solely on his or her wit, confidence, and sometimes, ability to shock in order to charm both the bachelor or bachelorette and the crowd.
Audience members, which filled both floors of the Cabaret Room, helped contestants with their answers and offered advice to the bachelor or bachelorette faced with making a decision. The audience loudly expressed its surprise and approval of the contestants’ answers and helped judge a dance-off among some of the contestants after a bachelor asked them to show off their best moves. 
In the end, nine matches were made. As the contestants walked offstage, the audience applauded the romantic spectacle.