McCaffrey Suspended For PSU Tweets

Bates: Athlete 'Used Very Poor Judgment'

Published: Monday, November 19, 2012

mccaffrey

Stephanie McCaffrey, CSOM ’15, a forward on the Boston College women’s soccer team, was suspended on Thursday for a series of tweets she posted regarding Pennsylvania State University and the sexual abuse case it was wrapped up in last year.
Athletic Director Brad Bates announced in a statement that McCaffrey was suspended from the team, and that she would miss Friday night’s second-round NCAA Tournament game at Penn State.
“The student-athlete used very poor judgment and exhibited insensitivity towards Penn State, for which she apologizes,” Bates said in the statement. “This type of behavior is not tolerated among our student-athletes.”
The Eagles went on to lose their game against Penn State, 5-2, on Friday night in University Park, Penn.
Onward State, an online news organization at Penn State, captured McCaffrey’s tweets. 
One read, “I wonder if well get into the visitors locker room at Penn state…I hear the showers are weiners only, 10 and under.”
Another said, “Raping at penn state to getting raped in state penn… #beatPennState #santouchsky #legggooeags.”
One other tweet mentioned some of her teammates: “@patricevettori #sandusky‘s house tonight! @kristiemewie @kcmosun twitter.com/stephyymac/sta…”
McCaffrey had deleted her Twitter account by Thursday night, just hours after sending out the tweets. 
Associate Athletics Director for Media Relations Chris Cameron commented on BC’s policy for its student-athletes’ use of social media.
“We educate our coaches and student-athletes regularly on responsible use of social media,” Cameron said. “Student-athletes are bound by the BC Student Code of Conduct to act responsibly in their communications. Failing to do so is punishable by team and University sanctions.”
Onward State showed that another BC student-athlete was also involved with McCaffrey’s tweets. Sean Sylvia, LSOE ’14, a defensive back for the football team, tweeted back at McCaffrey: “@stephyymac is literally making me die with all her tweets #makingmyweek #beatPennState #headonaswivel #sanduskyville.”
Sylvia also deleted his Twitter account by late Thursday, as the public took notice of his tweets concerning McCaffrey and Penn State.
McCaffrey is a native of Winchester, Mass., and her brother James plays on the football team at BC.

1 comments