MEN'S BASKETBALL: Daniels Decides To Transfer From BC

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sophomore point guard Jordan Daniels of the men’s basketball team has decided to leave the program and transfer at the end of the semester, Boston College announced yesterday. The news comes five days before the Eagles open the season against Florida International.

“It’s a surprise yeah, for sure,” head coach Steve Donahue said last night. “We had talked a couple of times in the preseason about where his role is and things of that nature. I just think it got to a point for him where he just wasn’t enjoying himself in the role that he saw himself in. He talked it over with his parents, and then we talked about it real serious last night that he thinks he’s going to stop playing and transfer.”
Daniels will be missed, but Donahue still feels optimistic about BC this season.

“All of these things that happen—they’re all part of growing the program,” Donahue said. “I think the guys are going to miss him. He’s a great kid and he was a great member of our program. We’re a tight-knit family. I think in that part we’re still trying to get used to him not being here. We’ll get over it, fortunately—or unfortunately depending on what way you want to look at it. I think we’ll be a good basketball team. I’m real confident in the guys that are playing. Going forward, you’ve obviously got to make sure you get another guy that can handle the ball, and I think we’ll do that over the next couple recruiting classes.”
Daniels started in 25 games for the Eagles last season, averaging 6.4 points and totaling 82 assists. He also played a key role in BC’s upset over then No. 15 Florida State. Although he started in all of BC’s final games last year, he was projected to be a backup behind incoming freshmen Joe Rahon and Olivier Hanlan. Donahue’s rotation will be hurt significantly with Daniels’ departure, and players who did not see the court much last season should see an increase in minutes.