MEN'S BASKETBALL: Inability To Stop Runs Hurts Eagles

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

n College men’s basketball team strives to pride itself on, were not there when the Eagles needed them most in their 79-63 loss to Harvard on Tuesday night.

“A saying of ours is three stops,” said BC freshman guard Joe Rahon. “You’ve just got to get three stops in a row. Calm the storm, go back on offense, execute good offense, be poised, and get a great shot on the other end. Coach preaches all the time that when things aren’t going well you’ve got to slow down—you’ve got to come together.”
When the Eagles were able to get stops like the ones Rahon touched upon, they had success. Unfortunately, these stops did not occur enough.  In the first three minutes of play, Harvard converted on each of its first four possessions, leading the Eagles by a score of 9-6.

After settling down on both ends of the floor, the Eagles were able to gain their first lead of the game at 13-12 with 13 minutes remaining in the first half. BC was unable to capitalize here and follow the “three stops” rule Donahue preaches, allowing Harvard to go on a 9-1 scoring run in which they scored four possessions in a row. When this run was complete, Harvard led BC 21-14 with 10 minutes and seconds left in the half.

When BC did show glimpses of good play, they were able to get the stops on defense they were looking for and execute good offense. The best example of this began with seven minutes left in the first half, when BC went on a 12-3 scoring run to tie the score at 26 with just less than four minutes remaining. During this run, the Eagles held Harvard scoreless on five of seven possessions, and at one point, recorded three stops in a row. Building off of this momentum, the Eagles were able to enter the half trailing Harvard by just two, 31-29, with the game still in reach.

The Eagles broke down at start of the second half, though, not following the “three-stop” rule.

“The first five minutes of the second half, we weren’t able to do that,” Rahon said. “That was the turning point in the game. They made that run off of a couple of our turnovers, they got out in transition and got a couple of easy baskets.”
To start the second half, Harvard scored eight consecutive points in the first minute and 30 seconds of play. During this time, Harvard was able to convert on four of its five possessions.  
After this initial scoring run by Harvard, the Eagles had to try to claw from behind for the remainder of the second half. Without the necessary stops on defense, the Eagles could not overcome this deficit.

The Eagles were not able to keep Harvard from scoring three in a row for the entire second half.  Although they did a better job of getting stops when they needed them in the first half, ultimately, BC held Harvard three times in a row on defense only once the entire game. To find success in the future, the Eagles must be able finish better defensively and use the momentum from these plays to put together a complete game.