MEN'S HOCKEY: Milner, BC Hockey To Hold Toy Drive At Next Two Home Games

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, November 19, 2012

For the third season in a row, men’s hockey goaltender Parker Milner, with support from his teammates, will be collecting toys for Boston Children’s Hospital. The team will be collecting all donations at the team’s next two home games, Nov. 24 against Dartmouth College and Dec. 1 against rival Boston University.

For Milner, the opportunity to bring some happiness to these young children has been something he’s been involved with since his time in the USHL.

“When I was playing in Waterloo for my junior career, we would do a teddy bear toss,” he said. “When you scored your first goal, the fans would throw teddy bears on the ice, and then they would be donated to Toys For Tots. I thought it was a pretty cool thing.”
In trying to continue such a project, Milner has worked hard to help the patients at Children’s Hospital during this holiday season. Team visits to the hospital inspired him to start the toy drive during his sophomore year.

“We visit Boston Children’s Hospital sometimes, and you definitely get touched by the children you see there, so I wanted to try to do something to help them out,” Milner said.

Milner has been excited by the increasing participation of Superfans to his cause, and hopes that the trend continues this season.

“The number of donations has gotten better each year, especially last year,” he said. “We filled about 15 full hockey bags with toys and brought it to this room in Children’s Hospital. The kids were all so excited, and it was great to see them while we were there.”
Team visits and the past toy drives have given Milner a new perspective on life, and have given him a greater awareness of the struggles these children face each day.

“Whenever we get in there, they’re pretty excited to see us,” Milner said. “We’ve brought in the trophy, and you just see what those kids are going through, and life’s everyday struggles seem pretty easy.”