MEN'S SOCCER: BC Faces Huskies In First Round

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

soccer

Ed Kelly and his Boston College men’s soccer team got the call they were hoping for on Monday night from the NCAA selection committee, as the Eagles were placed into the field of 48 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

Tonight, BC (8-5-5, 3-2-3 ACC) will travel down the road to Northeastern University’s Parsons Field to take on the Huskies (13-2-4, 6-1-3 CAA) at 7 p.m. Northeastern clinched its ticket to the tournament by winning the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) last Sunday. The Eagles got in the hard way as an at-large selection, after getting knocked out of the ACC tournament by Clemson in the first round last week. They are currently ranked No. 38 overall in the newest RPI rankings.

Kelly will be preparing his squad to play in a challenging environment, as the Huskies are 7-0-1 at home this season, and 14-0-1 in their last 15 games at Parsons Field. Their top threat is CAA Player of the Year Don Anding, a forward for Northeastern.

The tournament berth is the sixth straight for BC, and 12th overall in the history of the program. Last year, the Eagles were the No. 4 overall seed in the tournament, and received a bye in the first round. They hosted Rutgers in the second round, but got knocked out of the tournament after a heartbreaking loss. The game came down to penalty kicks, which the Scarlet Knights won, sending BC home earlier than they had hoped.

The Eagles will be hoping for a longer run this year, beginning tonight. They’ll lean on senior goalkeeper Justin Luthy to be a solid force in net, while Charlie Rugg and Kyle Bekker will be looked upon for the offense.

The winner of tonight’s game will go on the road to face No. 4 Connecticut in the second round of the tournament on Sunday.