MEN'S SOCCER: Diouf Scores Twice As Connecticut Blanks BC At Home

Eagles Are Unable To Put One In The Back Of The Net, Lose To Huskies

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

soccer

Connecticut forward Mamadou Diouf sunk the Boston College men’s soccer team with two goals at No. 2 UConn’s Joseph J. Morrone Stadium last night. The Eagles, who were coming off of a 1-1 tie on the road with Virginia Tech, lost 2-0 to the Huskies.

The game was originally scheduled to take place on Tuesday night, but was forced back a day due to rainstorms around the Storrs area.

This adds one more loss to the men’s soccer record (2-3-1, 0-1-1 ACC) and it is the second consecutive loss at the hands of the Huskies’ men’s soccer program. It also continues UConn’s undefeated record.

Diouf, UConn’s junior striker from Senegal, slotted home his first goal of the game in the 11th minute, assisted by fellow countryman Stephane Diop and Carlos Alvarez. He finished off the night with a penalty kick in the 74th minute, capitalizing on a handball in the penalty box by BC.

Senior midfielder Kyle Bekker led the offensive stat sheet for the Eagles with five total shots, while forcing two saves out of UConn’s 6-foot-4 goalkeeper Andre Blake. The only other shot on goal for BC came from freshman Derrick Boateng.

As for the overall stats, BC collected a total of nine shots, with three of those on target, while UConn had seven, as the Eagles’ goalkeeper Justin Luthy racked up three saves on the night. Additionally, each team took three corner kicks, though none of them directly resulted in a score.

The goal-scoring leader for the Eagles continues to be forward Kevin Mejia, with two goals and four points overall, but he did not see any game action last night.

The Eagles will now have three home games in a row after a string of away games. For its next matchup, BC takes on San Francisco at home on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Newton Sports Complex.