MEN'S SOCCER: Double OT Not Enough For BC

Published: Monday, October 15, 2012

soccer

The Boston College men’s soccer team drew 0-0 to the Clemson Tigers after double overtime at the Newton Soccer Field on Saturday night. Both defenses held firm throughout the 110 minutes, which puts the Eagles’ record at 7-3-3 and 2-1-2 in ACC play, while Clemson is 4-7-3 with 2-2-2 in the ACC.

BC came out as the stronger of the two teams in the first half. Within the first five minutes, a Jason Abbott free kick went straight off the head of Charlie Rugg, placing it just past the wrong end of the goalpost. Not too long after, Rugg shot another ball wide from close in, when he only had the goalkeeper to beat.

The game took a physical turn when a fight almost broke out after defender Chris Ager followed up on a Kyle Bekker free kick, sliding into the opposing goalkeeper in the process.

The Tigers managed to put some pressure on the BC defense, but none of it was too much for the backline to handle. The better chances continued to fall in favor of the Eagles. With around 10 minutes left in the half, Colin Murphy picked off a pass at the center of midfield and sprinted up the field. He sent off a pass to Bekker on his left, who shot off target.

After the game, head coach Ed Kelly said that he thought the Eagles could have been up 2-0 at the end of the first half.

“We created three or four good chances,” he said.

The second half started similarly to the first half, when Bekker raced down the left side and crossed the ball to Rugg, whose shot was blocked, but followed up by Murphy, who failed to convert the ball into the back of the net. Bekker played confidently throughout the half, and managed to open up play. He was distinguished by a couple near-miss long shots. The first came from about 30 yards out, but sailed just over the crossbar. The one that really awed the fans was a left-footed curler, which once again flew just above the crossbar.

Freshman Derrick Boateng managed to get himself into dangerous positions over the course of the half, taking four shots in all. However, the majority of these shots were either blocked or ended up on the wrong side of the goalpost. Clemson did force a few close calls, and succeeded in working the ball around the BC goal on a handful of occasions. Nothing was too much for the Eagles’ defense and goalkeeper Justin Luthy, though, as they sent the game into overtime at 0-0.

Overtime was uneventful for both sides, as most of the action came in the midfield. The Clemson defense was strong and fast, allowing Rugg very little room to play with on the occasions that he was sent through balls. Afterwards, Kelly called the game “heartbreaking.”

“All in all, we did have some good, good chances,” he said. “But also, we could have lost and that would have been a terrible thing. So, take a little good with the bad—another clean sheet, another point.”