MEN'S SOCCER: Notebook - BC Offense Comes Alive In Win Over NC State

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

After a slow start to the season, the Boston College men’s soccer team is now 5-3-1 and looks poised to be a contender in the ACC. A major part of the offense is senior Charlie Rugg, who, after coming back from injury, has 11 points in just 6 games. Against NC State, Rugg continued this scoring streak, tallying a goal and an assist to lead the Eagles past the Wolfpack. Rugg’s goal put the Eagles ahead 2-0 with about 25 minutes left and would eventually be the game winner. Sophomore Diego Medina-Mendez was also a major factor, as he assisted on both goals for the Eagles.

On Rugg’s goal, Medina-Mendez was able to cut through two NC State defenders and play a low cross into the middle for Rugg, who then slid the ball into the back of the net for BC’s second goal in five minutes.

“Last game, I had a chance to do the same thing so this time I had to make something happen,” Medina-Mendez said. “Charlie made a great play to get on the end of it and give us another goal.”
Corner Kicks Are a Factor
The other goal BC scored was off of a corner kick, as corners turned out to be a major factor in this game. The Eagles scored on their 12th corner kick of the game to go up 1-0 with about 29 minutes left in the second half. There was a major scramble in the box that three BC players got their heads on, including Medina-Mendez and Rugg, as defender Stefan Carter would ultimately put the ball into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.

“It was interesting,” Rugg said. “We have a play we do, but we decided to switch it up that time, so I was able to get a head on it and Stefan did a great job of staying with it and giving us our first goal.”
The Eagles ended the game with 13 corner kicks to NC States’ five, proving the set pieces to be a major factor in this game.

Luthy, Defense Solid
The Eagles played a great defensive game, only allowing six total shots and three shots on goal. Center back Chris Ager led the BC defense and had a strong game, making numerous strong tackles in the box to prevent any offensive threat that NC State could create.

Despite facing few shots, goalkeeper Justin Luthy came up big when his number was called. Luthy made a point blank save from about five yards out at the end of the first half that would have given the Wolfpack the lead, and changed the complexion of the game.

Weather Makes a Difference
The weather also impacted the game on Friday night, as there was a constant downpour for most of the match.

“The weather was actually in our favor,” said head coach Ed Kelly. “They [NC State] were coming in on a bit of a losing streak, so the last thing they needed were tough conditions.”
The Eagles changed their game plan due to the weather, focusing on crossing balls into the box, as it was tough to play the ball on the ground during the rainstorm. The plan worked, as BC was able to manufacture two goals out of it and earn its first ACC victory of the season.