Be My Valentine

Last Minute Valentine's Day Dates in Boston

Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 23:02

Stay In

Since Valentine’s Day is on a weeknight this year, the easiest (and cheapest) option for many students is staying in. Order in from one of the many restaurants located around BC—Fins, Angora Cafe and Pino’s are all student favorites that are relatively inexpensive. After dinner, cuddle up and watch a romantic movie. Many of the “Top 50 Romances of the Past Decade,” according to IMDb.com, can be found on Netflix and iTunes. Stick with the classics such as A Walk to Remember, P.S. I Love You, or The Notebook. Or, branch out a little and watch something slightly more unexpected like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Pride and Prejudice.

Best Friend Date

Everyone knows the best part of Valentine’s Day is chocolate. For those who would rather spend the day with a dear friend as opposed to dealing with the drama of romance, take a quick ride down the Green Line to the Copley stop. From there stroll down Newbury St. and indulge in an afternoon shopping trip. Finish the “date” at L.A. Burdick Chocolate shop, located at 220 Claredon St. (right off of Newbury). The rich and delicious hot chocolate is perfect for a February afternoon. For the real chocoholics, there is a variety of truffles, cakes, adorable chocolate mice, and other indulgences to pair it with.

Anti-Valentine's Day

While the assumption is that Valentine’s Day dinner needs to include an expensive dinner, heels, collared shirts ,and roses, Ducali’s Pizzeria and Bar offers an alternative to those who want to celebrate—just in a more casual manner. Located in the North End, Ducali’s will be serving pizza, appetizers, beer, and wine. The classic Jim Carey movie, Dumb and Dumber, will be shown in order to provide less traditional entertainment. For any couple that does not want the pressure of “the perfect Valentine’s Day,” Ducali’s offers a wonderful alternative.

Single's Awareness

Anyone who is still left feeling angsty and unloved on Sunday can share their feelings on the Valentine’s Day themed open mic night, presented by Write on the DOT at the Savin Bar and Kitchen in Dorchester. Located off the Red Line at the Savin Hill stop, Savin Bar and Kitchen will be offering appetizers such as mac and cheese fritters and egg rolls starting at $4. Anyone can go and share any (positive or negative) Valentine’s Day related poetry or short stories and eat delicious comfort food.

Traditional Valentine's Day

For all the romantics out there looking for a more traditional Valentine’s Day, head over to the Gaslight Brasserie in the South End. Each entree costs around 30 dollars which is a definite splurge but not totally unreasonable for a Valentine’s Day dinner. Possibly the most appealing perk is that, according to Boston Innovation, Gaslight is one of the “14 last-minute Valentine’s Day dinner reservations that are still available.” Finally, for any movie buffs (or TED lovers) this is the perfect date—this is the restaurant where the date scene with Tami-Lynn was filmed. 

Non-Traditional Date

The Improv Asylum’s improve comedy shows, offered at 7 and 9 p.m. on Valentine’s Day, provide a perfect activity for a Valentine’s Day date night. Conveniently situated in the North End, the show could make for a full evening of fun. Grab dinner before or top off the night with a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry. This option would be fun for all couples but is especially appealing to newer couples. It provides a light-hearted evening with a designated activity that removes some of the pressure from a Valentine’s Day date.