Collegiate Round-up

BU: Students Protest Scheduled Robin Thicke Show

Updated: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 22:02

Boston University

Many Boston University students are demanding the cancellation of an upcoming Robin Thicke concert.

Members of a BU organization, Humanists of Boston University, have started a petition on change.org, according to Fox Boston. The petition, which recently reached 1,500 signatures, calls on BU’s administration to take action and cancel Thicke’s concert, scheduled for March 4 at Agganis Arena.

The students in Humanists of Boston University feel that many of Thicke’s songs, particularly his chart-topping and Grammy-nominated “Blurred Lines,” are sexist, and that his celebrity comes in part from his blatant misogyny. “Thicke’s hit song, ‘Blurred Lines’ celebrates having sex with women against their will,” states the group’s petition. “Lyrics such as ‘I know you want it’, explicitly use non-consensual language ... while watching the extremely explicit video, the insinuation grows from subtle to explicit to obnoxious.”

“Boston University has been a bedrock for feminism and ideologies of equality more generally,” the petition reads. “It is a dishonor to our feminist history to symbolically idolize Robin Thicke by allowing him to perform his misogynist music at our university.”

Patrick Johnson, president of Humanists of Boston University, believes that Thicke and his music are “a blatant form of reinforcing rape culture and sexism.” To further their point, the group has scheduled a protest outside of Agganis Arena the night of the concert.

Nevertheless, Boston University released a statement stating that the concert is unlikely to be cancelled. The statement states that the university did not schedule Thicke’s concert, instead saying that it is merely a stop along Thicke’s 16-stop tour.

Harvard

An unidentified Harvard student recently gained access to Harvard’s high-powered “Odyssey Cluster” for an unconventional purpose. The super computer, as explained by Harvard doctoral graduate David Simmons Duffman in an email to the Crimson, can generate the same amount of data in eight hours as a personal computer can generate in a year. Such power is extremely useful for the super computer’s normal purpose—scientific computing. The unidentified student, however, used the research network allegedly to compete in a mining competition, taking up significant resources in the process, said The Verge. The student saw the Odyssey Cluster as a potentially lucrative tool for Dogecoin mining, since the super computer can lend more power to the enterprise. Dogecoin is a well-known and widely used virtual currency, akin to Bitcoin. The computer cannot be used for “any non-research related activity,” however, and the student has been banned from further use.

Northeastern

Northeastern University recently broke ground on its Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex, to be located on Columbus Ave. The complex is the newest chapter in the partnership between Northeastern and the city of Boston. “A science complex of this scale has the chance to be a shining example of the best Boston has to offer,” said Mayor Martin J. Walsh, WCAS ’09, during his remarks at the ceremonial groundbreaking, according to Northeastern’s official website. The facility will be approximately 220,000 square feet and will house wet and dry lab facilities, educational laboratories, classroom space, and offices for faculty and graduate students. The complex, which is set to open in 2016, is a part of the university’s continued efforts to “expand its capacity to engage in path breaking research across disciplines,” according to Northeastern’s official website. The six-story, LEED-certified facility is also meant to encourage interdisciplinary research and will be shared by Northeastern’s many science colleges.

MIT

MIT will soon be co-hosting an event with the White House. The workshop, which will take place at MIT, is scheduled for March 3 and explore the topics of “big data” and privacy, according to MIT News.The event, titled “Big Data and Privacy: Advancing the State of the Art in Technology and Practic,” will boast keynote addresses by White House Counselor John Podesta and U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker. The workshop, which stems from President  Barack Obama’s call for increased focus on privacy issues in the digital age, will also feature panels focused on big data technologies. The event is co-organized by the MIT Big Data Initiative at CSAIL and the MIT Information Project and will be open to the public with registration. “There’s a lot of complexity to handling these issues, and our faculty look forward to exploring them at the workshop,” said Daniel Weitzner, director of CSAIL’s Decentralized Information Group and former deputy chief technology officer for Internet policy in the White House, according to MIT News.