COLUMN: It's Time to Find Your Boston

Bennet's Banter

Published: Thursday, December 12, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 12, 2013 03:12

There’s no denying it. You hear it everywhere you go. The same phrase is constantly repeated after you graduate from high school, as you proceed from graduation party to graduation party, with each parent voicing his or her opinion to you on your school choice.

“Wow, you’re going to school in Boston? Boston is an amazing city.”
Throughout this past summer, I must have heard this phrase dozens of times. Many of these wise relatives and parents all had the same strong opinion on the city of Boston.

Sure, I had visited Boston College a couple of times, and knew that I wanted to go to school here. But I wasn’t sure about being so close to a major city. What’s so great about Boston, anyway? I would ask myself this each time I was lectured by an adult on this topic.

In order to answer this question, I had to explore Boston during my first semester to see what all of this fuss is about. I have always enjoyed writing, so I decided to join The Heights, and write for Metro in order to learn more about the “Athens of America.”
Over the past few months, I’ve covered a multitude of stories ranging from Ron Burgundy visiting Emerson College, to a bid for hosting the Olympics here in 2024.

These stories, along with my multiple trips to visit BC’s “extended campus,” have helped me find my Boston.

After a semester of exploring the city that I believed to be ordinary, I have found some of the things that make Boston special to me. What fascinates me the most about Boston is not what I originally planned. While being in close proximity to a city full of sports, fancy restaurants, and shopping malls is appealing to many individuals, I’ve found my Boston present in more traditional aspects.

Boston truly is a melting pot of cultures. I came to this realization while walking through the neighborhoods of the North End, Charlestown, Chinatown, and even Newbury Street. From the shoppers carrying their designer bags down Newbury Street, to the Italian families selling homemade pizza for $1 a slice outside their apartments in the North End, to the loud man from Charlestown yelling at a passing Yankees fan, I’ve experienced the many faces of Boston. These individuals each have their own stories, and are tied together in a city with a large variety of people.

As Bostonians, we all come together to form a community. Although we come from many different backgrounds, nothing unites us more than our city. We come together to sing “Sweet Caroline” at the Red Sox games, unite under times of distress like the tragedy at the Boston Marathon, and we cherish the rich history of our city.  
I encourage you to find what makes Boston special. Find what makes the city unique for you. Your own Boston might be cheering with fellow Bostonians at a Red Sox game, watching dancers perform outside Faneuil Hall, walking the freedom trail, skating outside at the Boston Common Frog Pond, or maybe enjoying dinner at the Capital Grille.

It doesn’t matter. Be part of a city that prides itself on the variety of its people and their experiences.

As a member of the Metro section for The Heights, I plan on exploring more of Boston and sharing my experiences with BC students. My goal is to provide readers with fun and interesting opportunities in Boston and share some of the things that improved my freshman year experience. Although many freshmen are content with staying on campus most weekends, I urge them to explore the city that is at our fingertips and find some of the things that make their Boston special.

I found some of the things that make this city my own, and now I can now look my relatives in the eye and proudly say that I go to school in Boston.