Girl Scouts Dance Through Prudential Despite Snow

BC Sophomore Coordinates Flash Mob To Support Scouts

Asst. Metro Editor

Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Last Saturday at 9 a.m., in the midst of a snowstorm, more than 100 members of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts stormed the Prudential Center in what turned out to be a very successful, and adorable, flash mob. The Girl Scouts, ranging from ages 5 to 17, broke out into dance in front of the Boston tourist attraction in an effort to not only sell cookies, but to display their developed sense of leadership and commitment to their organization. Among the large crowd were parents, tourists, local shoppers, and representatives from Fox News—all came out to honor our society's future female leaders.

Bridget Miller, A&S '15, choreographed the flash mob's routine and led the troop throughout the dance. Miller is one of the many volunteers dedicated to the 100-year-old organization—the Scouts boast a pool of 17,000 adult volunteers in 178 communities across Eastern Massachusetts. "The girls had a blast despite the cold weather, and we were able to promote the cookie sale and our 100th anniversary to a different audience, including the local news. The success of the event is the directresult of Bridget's hard work," said Allison Rubin, media and public relations manager of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts.

The determination and sheer positive energy of the dancing troop was visible and contagious. The Girl Scout mission, prominently displayed on their website, is to "build girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place." The organization is more than a producer of delectable cookies—it is a creator of model females. Beginning with Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and finishing it off with Lady Gaga's "Just Dance," the girls put on a show that was worth standing out in a snowstorm to watch.

The scouts performed their routine to promote the Girl Scout cookie sale that ends Mar. 9, as well as to honor the Girl Scouts' 100th anniversary on Mar. 12. Those infamous cookies are constantly in high demand, especially because they are only sold for a certain period of time. Selling cookies is a key component of the Girl Scout experience because it fosters the communication and public relation skills the organization strives to nurture. The profits obtained from the cookies are used by the local council that sponsors the sale to supply the troops with necessary resources and to conduct programs throughout the year. A portion of the revenue is also used to fund community service projects. It is also important to note that these cookies do not just see the stomachs of local families whose doorbells are rung by little girls in uniform—Girl Scout cookies also travel to our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan every year. The scouts declare that "Every Girl Scout cookie has a mission: to help girls do great things." Whether it is developing one's own interpersonal skills or recognizing the men and women risking their lives overseas, the cookies represent a multitude of values and hard work.