This Week In

Metro Editor

Published: Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 22:03

Education

Harvard, Babson, and MIT have made the list of U.S. News and World Report’s Best Business Schools for 2014. Babson, ranked the No. 1 school in entrepreneurship for the 20th year in a row, took their celebration to a new level with a banner unveiling, complete with a video with hundreds of participants and cheering students. Harvard Business School (HBS) is currently tied with Stanford for the top business school in the country, ranking No. 1 in management, No. 3 in nonprofit, No. 3 in entrepreneurship, and No. 5 in marketing. The MIT Sloan School of Management took the fourth spot in overall rankings, with specific accolades in information systems (No. 1), product operations (No. 1), and supply chain/logistics (No. 1).

Business

Former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown announced via Twitter on Monday that he will be joining the law firm Nixon Peabody. While Brown will be collaborating on the firm’s national efforts, they hold 17 offices globally—including one in Boston. According to the Nixon Peabody press release, Brown will “focus his practice on business and governmental affairs as they relate to the financial services industry as well as on commercial real estate matters.” Although Brown turned down the chance to run for the Senate seat suddenly vacated by current Secretary of State John Kerry, he is rumored to be a contender for the 2014 Massachusetts Governor elections. Brown recently took a position as a television correspondent on the conservative political channel Fox News. According to Brown’s Twitter account, he is “Looking forward to working with the firm and its national efforts.”

SXSW

South by Southwest (SXSW), an annual music, film, and emerging technologies festival held in Austin, TX, featured wristbands by the MIT Media Lab last Saturday. The media lab, which partnered with Mozilla and the Knight Foundation, is now under fire for the wristbands’ slogans, which included scandalous sayings such as “That’s a nice dress/ it would look great on my floor” and “Do you wash your clothes with Windex? Because I can see myself in your pants.” MIT has released an apology for the wristbands, claiming they were not aware of the slogans until after the bands had been distributed. In addition to their apology, the MIT Media Lab has offered their support to women of the sciences, denying any claims of sexism in their corporation.

Beer

In honor of Marathon Monday, the Samuel Adams Brewing Company will be re-releasing their Boston 26.2 Brew. Although not in collaboration with the Boston Marathon, the brewery, highly popular among Boston residents,  is marketing to those partaking in Marathon Monday’s festivities. According to Sam Adams, the beer contains a 4.5 percent alcohol volume, a slightly lower than average percentage, common of the German-style Goose beer. With a “spicy, peppery character” and hints of salt, Sam Adams considers their brew “worth crossing the finish line for.” Fortunately, you don’t have to run 26.2 miles to enjoy it—a full list of bars carrying the 26.2 Brew on Marathon Monday (April 17, 2013) can be found at Boston Innovation.

Sports

Last week, the athletic company City Sports announced the opening of multiple new store locations, including one in Chestnut Hill. According to the company’s press release, the store will be a part of the much-anticipated “The Street” shopping complex along Route 9, across from the Chestnut Hill mall. The new store opening, set for Saturday, March 16, is in conjunction with City Sports’ 30 year anniversary. The Grand Opening party will begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday morning, with $500 worth of free giveaways and an appearance by Matt Light, former New England Patriot, three time SuperBowl champion, and ESPN correspondent. The first 100 visitors will receive a gift card for new City Sports and Nike merchandise in store.