This Week In

Metro Editor

Published: Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 23:09

Breaking Ground

Roche Bros., the gourmet grocery store popular throughout the Greater Boston area, has reached an agreement with the city of Boston to inhabit a new space in Downtown Crossing. The mayor’s office released a statement regarding the construction of the new Millennium Tower/Burnham Building in Boston, which broke ground on Tuesday. The tower, a $630 million dollar project that will rise 625 feet into the Boston sky, will stand at the site of the former Filene’s Department Store in Downtown Crossing. The Burnham Building will sit adjacent to the tower, acting as a residential and retail building. As the first retail partner on the project, Roche Bros. will become the first large-scale grocery store to reside in the urban area. The project is expected to encompass 1.4 million square feet.

Politics

For the first time in 11 years, the Boston Teacher’s Union has chosen to endorse a mayoral candidate. Less than a week before the preliminary election, the union has formally backed candidates Felix Arroyo and Rob Consalvo. On Wednesday evening, hundreds gathered for a general membership meeting, where a formal vote was taken—although rumors of support for both candidates was leaked earlier this week. “We feel there are a number of candidates who believe strongly in public education, but we think these two far and away separated themselves by being more thoughtful and for having a better grasp of what the schools need to move forward,” said Union President Richard Stutman in an interview with The Boston Globe. The union boasts over 5,000 members, a number that could significantly boost a candidate’s campaign.

Food

The Bacon Truck made its debut on Boston streets this past weekend at SoWa, the seasonal open market that pops up every Sunday in South Boston. The Bacon Truck joins a fleet of other food trucks that have rolled through town in recent years, garnering the attention of foodies throughout the city. While a full menu has not yet been released, The Bacon Truck features sandwiches such as the “b.l.a.t.” (bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato) and the b.e.l.t. (bacon, egg salad, lettuce, and tomato). Side dishes include habanero garlic pickles and tater salad. Most noteworthy on their selective menu thus far is the nutella dipped bacon, just one of several dessert options to hit their board of regulars come the fall. According to their web page, owners Sam and J.J. are fighting for “the inalienable rights of Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Bacon.”

Going Green

Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced Tuesday afternoon that the city of Boston was ranked the top energy efficient city in the country, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE). In their 2013 City Energy Efficiency Scorecard, the ACEEE ranked the nation’s 34 most populated cities on their green efforts. This is the first ever report to rank cities exclusively on their energy conservation efforts. According to a press release from the mayor’s office, cities were evaluated on what actions they are taking to reduce energy use in five key areas: buildings, transportation, energy and water utility efforts, local government operations, and community-wide initiatives. Boston was honored with the top spot due to Menino’s energy-savings goals, set in 2009 and 2011, as well as the Greenovate Boston initiative.

Humanity

On Saturday, a homeless man found a backpack at the South Bay Center in Dorchester. Upon opening the bag, he found that it contained $2,400 in U.S. currency, close to $40,000 in traveler’s checks, and Chinese passports, among other international papers. He promptly turned the backpack into the officers on duty at the mall, where the owner of the backpack later confirmed his identity at police headquarters. This kind act has astonished both locals and those across the country, making national headlines early in the week. Police Chief Commissioner Ed Davis recognized the man, later identified as Glen James, on Monday afternoon for his “extraordinary show of character and honesty.” According to Boston Magazine, a Virginia man impressed by James’ actions is now organizing a fundraiser in his honor.