This Week In

Updated: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 23:02

Politics

The name Kennedy is so closely associated with politics that one can hardly be mentioned without the other, and Joe Kennedy III is no exception. The freshman representative from Massachusetts is approaching his one-year anniversary in Congress, and much is expected from the young politician.

Kennedy only recently passed his first bill and has largely refrained from openly criticizing House Republicans, focusing instead on building bridges across party lines. “I think it’s extremely important to at the very least try to understand what that point of view is,” Kennedy said of his Republican counterparts, according to The Boston Globe. “It doesn’t mean we’re going to agree on everything. But you might find something.”

As of now, the young congressman faces an uncontested election in the 2014 cycle.

Community

During his initial campaign for higher office, Mayor Martin J. Walsh, WCAS ’09, promised to work toward a greater number of minority-owned businesses and suggested that half of the command staff of the Boston Police Department and half of his Cabinet be members of minority communities. Walsh reiterated these promises last Monday at an event in honor of Black History Month. Walsh has taken steps toward achieving his goals, including appointing the BPD’s first African-American Superintendent-in-Chief,  William G. Gross, and choosing Felix G. Arroyo, a Latino, to be the city’s chief of Health and Human Services.

While leaving the event, however, Walsh acknowledged that achieving his goals of greater inclusion is a long-term process. “I can say everything, all the right words, but if I’m not proving it by my actions, then it’s just words,” he said, according to the Globe.

Poetry

This coming Wednesday, Feb. 26, teams from Emerson College, Berklee College of Music, Simmons College, Harvard University, and Northeastern University will perform slam poetry at Cantab Lounge in Cambridge, Mass. The performance is part of the Weekly Wednesday Series hosted by the lounge that aims at featuring spoken word and slam poetry. The teams are performing in preparation for the annual College Unions Poetry Invitational in Boulder, Colo. Another person can sign one up to perform at the mic, but no one person can sign up more than one name. Additionally, the mic is for unaccompanied poetry only—no instruments allowed.

Doors open for the Weekly Wednesday Series at 7:15 p.m., and there is typically an open mic that begins at 8 p.m., though no open mic will be hosted this week. Featured poets begin at 10 p.m. Poetry shows are 18-plus and the cover charge is $3.00.

Winter

In the spirit of vigorously rejecting the propensity of young adults in Boston to hibernate during the winter, the online magazine Forever Twenty Somethingsis hosting its first event in Boston, the “F*** Your Couch! Party” at the Brahmin, an American cuisine and cocktail bar in the Back Bay. The event aims to combat winter malaise and bring together young people from all over Boston to enjoy each other’s company and the music, and to drink. The event is 21-plus. Tickets are available on Eventbrite for $22 until Friday, Feb. 21 and include one complementary drink as well as three raffle tickets that could win prizes such as a ski vacation, gift cards to Tavern Road Restaurant and Bar, or individual registration for Major League Bocce’s spring season. The event will run from 8:30 p.m. on Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday. Tickets will not be sold at the door.

Arts

The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston opened a new exhibit last Friday focusing on the Impressionist works most popular in the Boston arts communities. Fans voted for their favorites among 50 works, with the top 30 becoming part of the Boston Loves Impressionismexhibit currently at the MFA. The exhibition will run until May 26 and includes masterpieces such as Van Gogh’s “Houses at Auvers” (1890), Monet’s “Water Lilies” (1907), and Edgar Degas’ “Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer” (original model 1878–81, cast after 1921). The exhibition is home to letters, photos, statues, newspaper clippings, as well as paintings.

This is the first time the MFA has invited the public to play such a deciding role in an exhibition, and it is available to Boston College students at no cost upon presentation of a valid BC ID.