This Week In

Updated: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 22:02

Boats

Spring is just a month away, and now is the time to make that dream of sailing into the sunset come true. For nine days, residents of Boston with a pension for all things nautical will have access to the New England Boat Show, which will take place in Boston from Feb. 22 to March 2 in 300,000 square feet at the state of the art Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. The boater’s paradise will feature over 800 new boats as well as Captain Dave Carraro, the star of National Geographic’s TV show Wicked Tuna. Visitors can check out all kinds of boats, including luxury vessels, fishing boats, family, runabouts, navigation equipment, marine gadgets, fishing gear, a Sailfest, and the Miss GEICO Offshore Race Boat. There will also be seminars, clinics, and an interactive learning center to help people learn about buying, caring for, and upgrading boats.

Comedy

On Tuesday, AlzTogether hosted its annual event Comedy for a Cause at the Improv Asylum in order to raise funds and awareness for Alzheimer’s disease and simultaneously have a few laughs. Improv Asylum’s house teams produce some of the freshest faces in Boston comedy, and the show featured a series of comedy actors and improvisers who collaborate to create a lively, entertaining show of sketch comedy for a live audience.

The show is unique in that the actors putting on the show are open to suggestions and will create comedic scenes based on input from the audience, which means the show is never quite the same as the one before it.

General admission to the event is just $20, with 65 percent of proceeds going toward the Alzheimer’s Association.

Beer and Skiing

Bud Light has partnered with The Pour House to bring adults an opportunity to drink and play games, with a chance to win amazing prizes. This weekend, Bud Light will host the 2014 Boston Ski Bash.

The party is scheduled to take place at The Pour House on Boylston St. The event will include food and drink, and will feature a variety of games. The main event of the evening’s festivities includes a high-stakes tournament of rock, paper, scissors. All participants will receive a prize, but the ultimate winner of the giant tournament will receive an epic weekend in Breckenridge, Colo., which is a perfect location for skiing enthusiasts. Participants must be 21 years or older to play, and the competition will take place on Saturday, March 1 beginning at 2 p.m. and ending at 5 p.m.

Mardi Gras

Although very far from New Orleans, Boston reserves the right to celebrate its own version of Mardi Gras this weekend. Beginning this Saturday, singer/songwriter and producer Shaun Wolf Wortis and the Legendary Vudu Krewe will host their 21st annual Mardi Gras Ball. The event will place an emphasis not only on celebrating Mardi Gras, but also on local music in Boston. In order to promote travel to the event, the MBTA will run until 3 a.m. The event will feature several special musical guests, including singer/songwriter Will Dailey, Hayley Jane, Abbie Barrett, The Boston Babydolls, and Amber Casares. All proceeds from the event will benefit the New Orleans Musicians’ Clinic. The Ball will take place at T.T. The Bear’s Place in Cambridge on Saturday, March 1 at 8:30 p.m.

The exhibit is open until July 20, 2014.

Markets

If you are one of the Boston area residents who is feeling antsy and looking to shop for some new, interesting things, and sate your desire to peruse the markets, South of Washington District has the cure for you. This Saturday, March 1, the SoWa district of Boston will host its Winter Market at a new location, 1500 Washington St. The new location will allow consumers to shop indoors at a bright, airy community gym near Boston’s popular South End restaurant and shopping district. The market will feature art, artisan handmade goods, indie designer clothing, and vintage specialty foods. There will also be products available from previous crafters, artists, and designers, as well as various items by new merchants. The market will be open every Saturday from Feb. 1 through April 19, including a special Home Decor Market on March 15.