Mod500 A Creative Marketing Success

Published: Sunday, October 28, 2012

Maria Sannella’s Marketing Planning course has been chosen to compete with 19 other schools in a nationwide contest, known as the Chevrolet Campus Promotion, that allows winners the opportunity to present marketing ideas to the executives of Chevrolet.

The program asks the class of 17, which is representing Baldwin & Company, to create a campaign to “increase product awareness and improve brand perception of their cars to generation Y,” said Maggie Ryan, A&S ’14. In order to do this, the class has taken the past five weeks to plan two events, one of which, the Mod500, occurred on Friday afternoon. The other, the Ultimate Tailgate, will take place on Nov. 9.

The Mod500 idea was inspired by an event at Georgia Tech, the Mini500, according to Ryan. In the Boston College rendition of the event, a mini tricycle race was hosted, as the name suggests, around the Mods. The race track formed a loop, starting and ending at Mod 30B.

“We had six teams of four compete, as well as many spectators come out to cheer the teams on,” Ryan said. “This event was very successful.”
The six teams competed in various heats until there was one winning team, and ultimately the individuals of the winning team had to race each other until there was finally one contestant left. The final individual winner claimed an iPod Nano. The remaining three members that comprised the winning team received Chipotle gift cards, donated by Chipotle.

Racers made the event fun by dressing up “in some sort of uniform or costume,” Ryan said. One example of a team theme that Ryan noted was Mario Kart.

Those racing weren’t the only ones who had fun: as spectators cheered, they were able to enjoy the 75 mini burritos generously donated by Boloco.

The second part of Baldwin & Company’s campaign, however, is expected to be even more exciting. The larger event of the two, the Ultimate Tailgate, is being provided with a $3,000 budget by Chevrolet and thus will truly aim at bringing the Chevy campaign to life. The Ultimate Tailgate will take place on Nov. 9 at the bottom of the Million Dollar Stairs. With “fun games, great food, and awesome giveaways for all that attend,” Ryan said, there’s no excuse not to come.