Nelly, Third Eye Blind A Success

Spring Concert Boasts High Attendance, Low Transports

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

concert 4/23

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

On Friday, April 20, the UGBC hosted its annual Spring Concert in Conte Forum, featuring Nelly and Third Eye Blind. The concert, which was held after the cancellation of the Fall Concert and an administrative review about the feasibility of future concerts, was successful in allaying many of the administration’s concerns about on-campus shows of this nature.

During the event, only three students were reported as requiring medical transportation, which is significantly lower than the 30-40 transportation range of the previous two concerts held in Conte Forum.

Because of the highly significant decrease in medical transportations, Michael Zarrilli, executive director of campus entertainment for UGBC and CSOM ’12, is enthusiastic about the UGBC’s ability to continue holding concerts in the future. “I won’t have the chance to get any formal feedback from administration until Monday, but overall I think they were pleased with student behavior at the show and I definitely do not think this was BC’s last concert,” Zarrilli said in an e-mail.

The student interest generated by the event will also have an impact going forward. “With such a positive student response to the concert, through ticket sales and energy level at the concert, the administration can see how much students really do care about and enjoy this event,” said Michael Kitlas, UGBC president and A&S ’12.

One aspect of the event that differed from those of previous years was the timing of the show. While past concerts have typically begun later at night, Friday’s show began at 5 p.m. when John Pierson, CSOM ’12, performing under the moniker of DJ Pizo, took the stage. Because of the skylights in Conte Forum, the venue was illuminated throughout his performance.

Throughout Third Eye Blind’s set, which began at 6 p.m., the venue was still light, which created a different atmosphere than past concerts in which Conte Forum was dark throughout the show. “I have heard some feedback with the arena not being dark enough during Third Eye Blind. While this may have detracted some from [students’] enjoyment, I do not think it was something that took away a lot from the concert experience,” Kitlas said.

Attendees of the concert felt that the light created a different environment. “It was weird having the show held earlier because I am used to going to concerts and getting out at 11:30 or 12,” said Michael Wojnar, A&S ’13. “I did think that the light upset Third Eye Blind’s set impact. Depending on the song, a lot of people were sitting and talking with their friends, which I think could have had an effect on Third Eye Blind’s performance.”

After its review of having concerts in Conte, the BC administration had recommended hosting the concert at an earlier time in an effort to curb pregaming. The success of this change in terms of a decrease in medical transports will impact concerts going forward. “With the drastic decrease in transports, it’ll probably be pretty difficult to get administration to budge on the start time,” Zarrilli said.

The show was also successful in generating student interest, with all 4,680 available tickets being sold despite ticket prices being raised to $30. The price of tickets, however, did not cover the cost of the concert. “Even with the increased ticket price, we took a bigger loss on this show than we’ve taken on sell-out shows in years past,” Zarrilli said.

Part of the reason that the tickets for this event were more expensive than those for past concerts was the booking prices of co-headliners Nelly and Third Eye Blind. Because the UGBC is typically constrained by the limited availability of Conte Forum and the artists it attempts to book, bringing big-name acts to campus that students will be interested in seeing is a difficult task, which has resulted in undersold shows in past years. In selecting the headliners, the UGBC sought acts that would be popular with students.

“We knew from the feedback that we received from the Spring Concert last year–both in the form of ticket sales and verbal feedback–that BC wanted bigger names. We made this our goal with this year’s concert and once we got the go ahead from administration, we submitted names to our agent that we thought the campus would get excited about,” Zarrilli said.