Netflix Nexus

BBC's 'Sherlock' Is Both Mysterious And Comedic

Updated: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 19:02

Beyond the streaming heavy weights of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Friday Night Lights lies the one, true pearl of British television, no offense to the dignified disciples of Downton Abbey.

BBC’s Sherlock has been television’s best buddy comedy / crime thriller since its debut in 2010 and is buried within the Netflix vault somewhere between Psych and Law and Order. The show’s co-stars, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Dr. John Watson), have finally broken out this past year. Cumberbatch will play the villain in J.J. Abram’s upcoming sequel Star Trek Into Darkness. Freeman, on the other hand, will continue to star as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy.

Are folks tired of Sherlock Holmes and dear Dr. Watson yet? Apparently not. Even after two action packed adaptations from Guy Ritchie, Sherlock still delights. Cumberbatch is no Robert Downey, Jr. He’s better, more eccentric. Freeman turns Dr. Watson’s rigid, dignified post-war posture into an understated art form. This is Sherlock and Watson at their very best, in present day downtown London no less.

Who has time to start a whole new series in the dark depressing month of February, though? Anyone who can spare just nine hours. Sherlock has only produced two seasons, each comprising of three 90 minute episodes. So snuggle under a comforter, flip open a laptop, and start solving some crimes.