Netflix Nexus

Enjoy Real-Life Survivor Thrills From The Couch With Netflix

Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 22:02

Within the genre of infotainment, there is no category of show that has taken off in recent years like the survival show.  Netflix has three standout options in terms of this category: Survivorman, Man vs. Wild, and Dual Survival.  Each show takes a different route balancing entertainment value with practical survival instruction in different survival settings. Survivorman is a “barebones” survival show. The host, Les Stroud, is legitimately alone in the wilderness filming himself for a week. The show is extremely informative and true-to-life, but less active and entertaining. Host Bear Grylls’ Man vs. Wild is the opposite end of the spectrum. Grylls has a camera crew, which allows him to be more cavalier and entertaining in his wilderness adventure, but the show is not as informative as Survivorman. Dual Survival is a happy medium between these two, combining both high entertainment and informational value.  The show follows two radically different survival experts: a hippie (Cody Lundin) and an army veteran (Dave Canterbury) as they survive and try to overcome their ideological and personal differences.  So the shows can be looked at in a Mama, Papa, and Baby Bear type way.  Which one is just right for you?