100 Days Dance Moved To March

Club Royale Will Host Event For Seniors

Heights Senior Staff

Published: Sunday, February 12, 2012

Last Friday, the Senior Week Committee sent an e-mail to seniors providing details about the 100 Days Dance. With the 100-day countdown to graduation beginning this past weekend, the committee announced that the Club Royale will still host an event on Mar. 23.

The event's delay stemmed from issues with last year's 100 Days Dance. The event, which was held at Cyclorama, struggled to break even, said Mark Miceli, associate director of the Student Programs Office (SPO). Other issues, including the size of the space itself, led SPO to consider other options this year.

"Most of the nightclubs in Boston have capacities under 1,000, and for us and the senior week committee, it's just not a capacity that's meaningful," Miceli said. "With a class size of typically over 2,220 students, that's less than half that class. To us, that didn't fit the bill of a Senior Week type event, so we struggled with that quite a bit."

The Club Royale venue served as home to the 100 Days Dance in the past when it was called the Roxy, but new owners changed the policy regarding prices for collegiate parties, which made it difficult to coordinate events, Miceli said. The Senior Week Committee, however, negotiated a deal with Club Royale to hold the event there this year.

"The contact we worked with was really accommodating," said Kate Puccio, co-chair of the Senior Week Committee and A&S '12. "I called him and said, ‘Listen, this is what we want to do. How can we make this happen?'"

Along with the dance at Club Royale, the Senior Week Committee is in the process of collaborating with Boston clubs and bars to possibly allow Boston College students discounts on the night of Mar. 23.

"The Royale cannot hold the entire senior class, so I asked if there was anything else we could do so everyone could have an enjoyable night," Puccio said. "Even if you don't get a ticket to the event, you can still go out and celebrate."

The Senior Week Committee is cognizant of the lateness of the event when compared to last year, citing Club Royale's busy schedule as a popular venue. "It's later than we wanted to have it, but with a club, there are people who want to pay prices that we cannot match," Puccio said.

Puccio believes, though, that the spirit of the event is not dependent on the day but the cause for celebration. "100 Days is about getting together and celebrating our four years," she said. "It's not about the day itself. The response has been positive. Every e-mail I've gotten has been about tickets. We're still waiting to finalize ticket prices. You won't see additional cost, though. The event will be less expensive than last year."